Wednesday, July 29, 2020

AWI Progress; British Officers and some Terrain


I was lucky enough to have a childless weekend a short time ago, so had LOTS of time for painting.
Unfortunately, most of that painting was in the house taking care of a banister and stairway doing manly things like sanding, priming, painting, and staining.  It was a good time to do it since I wouldn't be interrupted and the kids wouldn't touch anything.  I accumulated a good quantity of hubby points. 

But it wasn't all chores and work, I managed to squeeze in some hobby stuff.  

AWI Progress: Officers and NCOs


Finishing up the British from my initial purchase,  here are the last 4 miniatures.


Here we have 2 NCOs.
I'm told their NCOs because they have fancy red sashes.
I really like the guy with his arm outstretched.







And here we have two officers that will lead the British forces.  Complete with fancy uniforms.


Two Officers.
I tried to give a little extra details to their coats and buttons.


I wish they had pistols

So that finished up my British for Muskets and Tomahawks.  The troops have been well photographed in previous posts so no need to retread that old road.  The total of the painted troops is:

2 Officers
2 NCOs
24 Regular Troops
12 Light Troops

Not too shabby.


Some Terrain


Taking a break from painting miniatures before I dive into the lead pile of Revolting Colonists, I decided to tackle some terrain projects.

I completed the stuff I ordered from Paul's Model Workshop.  First we have the two fields. 




The fields are nice resin pieces and were easy to do;
base coat, dry brush, cover with flock or shrubbery clumps.
72 clumps to be specific; I now because I used a whole pack from Army Painter 


I also painted up these wooden log piles that I ordered with  the fields.  4 come in the set and I seem to have lost one sadly.  I'll probably find it a year and half from now while looking for something else. 

Simple dry brush paint job but I like the way they came out.
Should help dress up the table some.

Putting Together the Buildings


I put together some of my AWI buildings that I ordered from Sarissa-Precision.   They went together pretty easily but overall they are pretty basic shells.  


WIP shot of the first house.
I added some shingles and some paint and now I'm deciding how to proceed.
 I stupidly glued it all together so that the roof doesn't come off.
Which makes it useless for skirmish games where troops can occupy buildings.
So it's now my Practice House, to try stuff out since it wont matter too much how it looks, 
because during games it will be placed somewhere away from the action.



Some more buildings waiting in the wings.
This is how they look before they get any love and attention. 


Be Safe Everyone


I now get tested for COVID every 2 weeks, where they shove a long hard swab down my throat. (You may insert you're own dirty joke here; I had several I was trying to make but couldn't decide on being rated PG-13 or R.).  I sincerely hope you are all doing well with minimal negative consequences from the impact of all this.  

Thanks for reading and looking at my mediocre paint jobs.  Keep safe and mentally healthy.  

35 comments:

  1. Firstly congrats on a fully painted force! (No artillery tho? Or too much for your skirmishing plans?)

    I really like the marching NCO - he looks like he is yawning.

    Sarissa buildings are very nicely priced, so make for some affordable and decent looking scenic elements, but they are very basic details-wise.

    Tested fortnightly??? That's a bit excessive imo. How much is that leaching from the State coffers I wonder?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dai. Feels good to be moving the project along. M&T have rules for arty but yeah, as a skirmish game there’s not a real need for cannons. Maybe in the future. 😀

      I’m gonna try to do some small things to pretty up the buildings some, but I’m too lazy to go all out.

      I’m sure the state is doing it as cheaply as possible but hopefully still effectively. It’ll be like this until everyone in the place tests negative...twice. 😕

      Delete
  2. Stew, your paint jobs look great to me. No mediocre brushwork that I can see. Love the buildings. Now, onto the French, right? Stay well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks JF. I appreciate the compliment. Actually, these are probably some of the best miniatures I’ve ever painted. 😀
      I’m hoping that with a little attention the buildings will come out nice enough. Now stop talking about the French! Lol. 😀

      Delete
  3. Things are moving along nicely. The bloke with his arm outstretched has a facial expression and body language conveying some urgency - very nice.

    Top tip when family are out - open a smelly tin of paint (for decorating) ....... importantly, don’t do any decorating, just do whatever you want, play music or paint figures etc. When family come home, they will smell the stinky paint and just assume you have been working hard and no doubt thank you for your efforts. I have been decorating my living room for 7 years now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Norm, that is the Best trick I’ve ever heard of.
      You
      Are
      A
      Genius.

      I’ve have done the thing where I’ve said a chore will likely take me 2 hours when in reality it’s like 20 minutes. 😀

      Delete
  4. Stew, nice way to finish your British with those impressive command figures. I'll have to check out Paul's Models for some terrain pieces. Cheers Greg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Greg. I actually just stumbled upon that site but he has lots of cool looking terrain. Good luck and sorry to your wallet. It’s a hazard of blogging. 😀

      Delete
    2. Damn the expense - yes I ordered some scatter terrain pieces. Good site

      Delete
  5. Ooh, I'm one of the earlier comments for once. I don't get notifications when you update so I just try and regularly check every week or so.

    More importantly, that is some fantastic looking terrain. I love the crop fields. They look fantastic and like they were really easy to put together. If they don't warp then I'd say you're golden. The buildings are looking great too and I think you're going to have some really immersive terrain when all this is done.

    That is a bummer to hear about the COVID tests. I feel very lucky to be working from home every day so that I have extra hobby time and do not have to be overly concerned about my well-being. We can only hope that a vaccine that is effective comes along quickly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kuribo! I really don’t think the fields will warp as they’re made of resin. Pretty solid. I hope you’re right that the terrain will all look pretty good at the end. I’m still figuring out how much effort I want to put into the buildings. 😀

      I work in a place with a lot of people in close quarters so I don’t mind the extra precautions.

      Delete
  6. Great stuff Stew! One of the biggest reasons why I hit a wall with my ACW and AWI models is because I absolutely hate painting straps, my hats off to you, yours look great.
    Not sure what kind of glue you used, and to be honest I've never tried it with MDF, but it works a treat with plastics, is to put that building you accidentally glued the roof on in the freezer overnight - may be worth a try to see if you are then able to wiggle it loose the next day 🤷‍♂️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ivor! Straps huh? I suppose everyone has something. I don’t like painting horses so I never have a lot of cavalry. 😀

      I’ll have to keep the freezer trick in mind. I don’t want to try it because I just glued on all those shingles so if it works, I’d have to do that all over again.

      Delete
  7. Diversified and beautiful realisations, love the fields...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice work on the Brits, I'm moderately envious of your buildings, and well done on the bannister. Oddly enough, I have some similar work to do here, which I will do once I manage to extricate myyself from the puddle of sweat I've turned into.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Markus! I did do a good job on the banister and stairway if I do say so myself. I didn’t post any pics though since it’s more of just an aside. Good luck in reforming into something more solid!
      I’ve made my plans for really prettying up the buildings. 😀

      Delete
  9. Great looking officers and NCOs, should be excellent target for the inevitable rebel riflemen!

    Getting probed twice a month seems like a lot... at least to an old married man ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laz! Isn’t it so true about the marksmen.

      You know how it with probing... twice a month is a lot to some people and not enough for others..😀

      Delete
  10. Just had the first of many periodic tests to come at my place of work. So far, so good! In other news, lovely figures--the officer details came through very well! I'm impressed at your work on terrain--I've reached the point where I only buy ready made: good on ya!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ed! And I wish you good luck with your tests.

      I’m glad you can see the good stuff on the officers, bc taking pics of miniatures is hard. And in truth I enjoy doing terrain, it’s usually easier and more forgiving than miniatures. 😀

      Delete
  11. Nice work stew and good progress, figures and terrain all at the same time. Fortunately of course my ACW terrain means I don’t really need to worry about terrain for AWI but then I keep getting sidetracked ☹️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt! Yeah, if I had done the AWI in 18mm I could of used my ACW terrain as well. But nooooooo I HAD to do 28mm. Lol 😀

      Delete
  12. Stew the AWI figures are looking tremendous however the catch of the day from my perspective are those lovely resin fields and piles of logs you have worked on. They are excellent. I will need to visit Pauls Modelling shop post haste!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carlo. I do think they came out looking pretty good. I’m happy I stumbled onto the site. Happy hunting yourself! I’m afraid that spending money sometimes happens when blog reading. 😀

      Delete
  13. Lovely looking NCOs and officers! Good looking resin stuff, I like your unloved building, the shingles look great, I hardly ever bother with interiors, luckily I finished my hallwa/bannister during lockdown!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain! I think I got it worked out now what I want to do to the buildings to show some love. I wanna add some stuff but not go overboard, mainly bc I’m lazy. 😀

      Delete
  14. Very nice looking officers and terrain there, sir! It would appear that all of the practice you did on the house paid off with these guys - they look superb. Cannot wait to see the d*** rebels!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks DF! House painting/ chores are fine practice but not nearly as enjoyable.
      I’m gonna finish up the houses before starting the Rebels since the houses are kinda in the way. 😀

      Delete
  15. Mediocre paint job! Dang Stew, these guys look museum quality to me! And great job on the fields! What kind of vegies are those anyway? A tip to save some money: cut up a bunch of willow twigs or other prunings and stack them up for logs. Wish I could paint like that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vol! All deprecating humor aside, I do really like the way these guys came out. Some of my better painting.
      I’m sure the veggies are the healthiest kind. I considered using real twigs, but that would mean I’d have to go outside in the 100 degree heat...(shudder). 😀

      Delete
    2. Yeah, the best time of year to gather wood is in the winter! 😉

      Delete
  16. Greetings, your figures look really good! Who is the manufacturer?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, the figures are from Brigade Miniatures. 😀

      Delete