Friday, June 3, 2022

ACW Diversion

 

Life can be a boring monotonous chore.  Let's have a short diversion in ACW gaming...as in a short post.


An ACW Game is Always Fun



Over the Memorial Day weekend there is Kublacon; one of the largest and best miniature conventions on the west coast.  I didn't go.  I'm too poor these days to go off spending nights in hotel rooms.  It's not so much the price of the hotel room as it is price of the cocaine and hookers that are mandatory purchases in any hotel scenario....plus gas is like $6 a gallon around here!

Anyway..

I did have some people over to play some ACW.  Other losers who also didn't go to Kublacon were Mr. AS, Mr MW, and Mr. CG (so 4 players including me).  I was tempted to try and find more players for a BIGGER game but I started thinking that 4 player games are kinda the Goldilocks of miniature games. 

Rules were (my favorite) Regimental Fire and Fury.  Scenario based on the 'Duncan Field' scenario out of the scenario book "This Bloody Field" by Brad Butkovich on Shiloh.  I have SO MANY regimental sceanrio books that sometimes I just pick one at random and find a scenario that works just so I cans ay that I've played a scenario from the book and therefore was NOT a waste of money. 
Each player has two brigades or 8-9 regiments.  That's another bonus of smaller games, players get to have bigger commands.  I like having bigger commands in my games.

And SO; the table is set:




Tried Out Something New


I tried out a new terrain technique for me because I've had a problem with ALL my previous ACW games.  The problem of terrain boundaries.  FOR EXAMPLE: The terrain for this scenario is that it's light woods everywhere; except where is open ground in fields and one region where it's heavy/dense woods (in this case the area is the famous "Hornet's Nest.").  Usually I mark the boundaries of woods and fields with fences or logs or whatever and it tends to still look good and be clear.


Until half way through the game; because fences get moved and logs roll and all the trees end up in bunches in out of the way places on the table. 


The idea:
Using one of my Cigar box mats as the base (and Cigar box mats always seem to photograph weird) I laid out all the boundary stuff, and then took some of the flocks I have for ground cover and spread these out in a light layer over the mat where needed.  

Like So!
The Hornets Nest area marked out by logs and filled in with a brighter green flock.
This area is heavy/dense woods.



Like So!
Duncan's Field (and all fields) marked out by fences and a light ground cover.
These areas are open ground.




Everywhere else is light woods.
Trees on the table are there just to look nice.
But not as nice as my Blue Moon ACW collection.





It seemed to work like a treat.  Provided clear boundaries that held up during gameplay and will be a versatile system to adapt to any shapes.  
Alternatively one could just make custom fields for each scenario and that would look awesome.  But did I mention I have a LOT of scenarios?  that would be a lot of work.

Here is the ONE picture I took during the game.



My good friend Mr PC came over during the game to talk and hang out.  Mr PC is my good gamer buddy from when I lived in the Bay Area 7 years ago and we did frequent games because we lived 20 mins apart.  And I only had one child back then. 

But now he recently moved from the Bay Area close to me again; so gaming shall be back on the table.  I'm not saying he moved over here JUST to play games with me again but I am saying it was likely 80% of the reason why...
Too bad that now I have even more children...


Speaking of Family: My Wife the Hero



The original plan was to play outside in the backyard.  This wasn't so much due to COVID concerns but to be out of the way of the children and wife who could stay in the house doing whatever.  And the weather was gonna be nice so it worked out.  
But kinda at the last minute my wife decided that she would take the kids to her parents house in the Bay Area and stay the night there 'to be out of the way and you can just have a good time.' 
I was gonna have a good time regardless, but answered "Well I don't want you to feel like you HAVE to do that...ButHereLetMeHelpYouPackSoYouCanGetOutOfHere."

So we got to play inside and in the evening I was able to do some extra painting and relax all by myself.  Thanks Sweets, you're a hero.

(My wife doesn't read this blog, it's been well proven, but maybe after I die she'll look at it from time to time and this will really get her in the ticker...)  


Now Get Back to Work




All right; Breaks over.  Back to the boring routine of work, woes, and whining.  
Till next time.
Hopefully soon.


34 comments:

  1. A great interlude from the mundane chore of everyday life Stew! Your idea fior defining areas of terrain on the table is good, and looks great....we generally use pieces of green felt to delineate woods, then place trees on the felt, so it doesn't matter if trees are later moved around to accomodate figures....the felt shows where the woods start and end. I must say, you do seem to have a very thoughtful and accomodating spouse....your description of your half hearted objection to her taking the kids to her parents made me laugh out loud! Also exciting news about your mate relocating so he can get in more wargames with you....that's dedication!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kieth.
      Yeah, felt and stuff works fine and I have a bunch of fields/wood like that as well. Those work great for just generic terrain. The issue is when doing historical scenarios and you want a field or area to have a specific contour to match the real life area.

      And yes, my wife is great.
      And I’m hoping that the arrival of an old gaming buddy will result in some more actual games. We’ll see. My issue has never been lack of opponents but lack of time. 😀

      Delete
  2. Looks like a lovely game, and how wonderful of your wife to clear the decks that way.

    But who won? You digressed into talking about PC moving close to you again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, who came out with Battle Honors? Your table looks superb. Good to see that your chance of more gaming is increasing with the re-introduction of an old gaming buddy. Now, back to the boring routine.

      Delete
    2. What’s with this fascination with winning or losing? We ALL won because we had a good time, the terrain and troops were excellent, there was plenty of pizza and snacks, and I got a break from the family.

      Fine! I was playing the CSA and we lost big time; we got too aggressive and the scenario obviously needs some tweaking. 😀😀

      Delete
    3. And yes it was a nice surprise from the wife. Now both of you get back to work! 😀

      Delete
    4. Stew, just trying to gauge your generalship prowess in case we ever meet across the table.

      Delete
    5. I would like That.

      I range from being an inspired general to a foolish one. Often several times in the same game. 😀

      Delete
  3. I do find that a dollar doesn't go quite as far on cocaine and hookers as it used. Its a shame really. To be a bit more serious, the games looked awesome and I'm glad you got to play. Hopefully that will keep you motivated on your painting as well. For what its worth, my wife doesn't read my website at all either. I should probably start pulling some of the stunts you pull on here just to see what I can get away with! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jeff. I know right? When did illegal sex and drugs become so cost prohibitive??!!! 😀

      Yes playing a game almost always renewed my motivation to paint as a reminder of what I actually do the painting for…

      And I don’t really blame the wife for not reading the blog; after all she does already have to deal with me everyday so don’t need the extra exposure. 😀

      Delete
  4. Neat terrain solution there Stew. Collecting all that flock after the game must have fun. Or did you leave it for the wife after she came back?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mike. But not really; just folded up the corners carefully and took it outside and
      shook it all out. If I keep this up maybe over the years all the flock will help the actual grass look fuller. 😀

      Delete
  5. Great post Stew and hey, try going to a convention and enjoying the night life on Australian dollars. The Colombian white would be icing sugar and the hookers….well…it’s too grisly to contemplate😉. The table looks fantastic and the flock really worked a treat. I’ve got a few tins of old block which nay well have found a new life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carlo. Yeah, I have huge tubs of the stuff.
      Icing sugar is all I could probably handle anyway…😀

      Delete
  6. Great looking game, I have enjoyed many of Brad’s scenarios. I need to find out which hotels you use as they are different to the ones I go to 🤔 as for fuel prices you guys have no idea !!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt.
      Yes I hatss as lol of his scenario books and they’re usually very helpful. 😀
      As far as hotels; you just have to know where to look. As far as gas prices; you guys in the UK have it the worse.

      Delete
  7. Great looking table and scenarios, and very entertaining read too! As soon as I read 'cocaine and hookers' I knew this was going to be amusing (as well as great ACW eye candy!)
    Best wishes,
    Jason

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jason. Glad you found it amusing (but was I really joking???).
      I appreciate you leaving a comment. 😀

      Delete
  8. Snazzy-looking troops there, and the table works well. Sounds like a fun day (and a relaxing evening).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Markus. Everything I do is snazzy. 😀😀

      Delete
  9. One thing about ACW games is that the terrain is often an added bonus, and so it is in this game: nicely done! So, you didn't go to the convention, but you had one at your place, kinda--a weekend with the boys! Win:win.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ed. Kinda exactly what happened thanks to the wife. 😀

      Delete
  10. Good looking game there Stew. Always good to get a game in now and then. As for fuel costs, I have a diesel and that works out at about $8.66 a gallon over here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tony. Yeah since my hobby is miniature warGAMING and not painting getting in a game once in awhile is kinda essential. 😀

      Y’all in the UK have huge gas prices.

      Delete
  11. Great looking games, entertaining read too, my wife does occasionally check in on my blog, who knows maybe yours does too!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain. Oh I doubt it. A little bit of me can go a long way…😀

      Delete
  12. I missed another good looking game and a smashing fun time at your abode.

    Good on the wife for giving you some space to entertain kids-free too!

    One day my friend… one day we’ll get together again for a game. How easily are you able to come down here I wonder?

    ReplyDelete
  13. O and it’s Dai. Stupid phone won’t sign me back in to Google for blogger and I can’t work out why

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Dai! I dunno bc I forget where you are, but I suppose it’s possible surly.
      I’ll send you an email with the fix when I had the same problem. 😀

      Delete
  14. Just catching up with you on this. I too have noticed something odd with photographing Cigar Box mats. I think it’s a mix of two things - the lighting and the dyes used in the mats. Halogen lights can be a real problem, they turn my green grass mat into something closer to a parched prairie. Other lighting turns into into some sort of fantasy goblin green. Glad I’m not the only one experiencing this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks TP. Yeah, my first CGbox mat is a bright green except in pictures where it turns a dark grey. 😀

      Delete
  15. Great looking battle report Stewart, and a game isn't a distraction, it's fun ! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  16. Marvellously entertaining post Stew. It took me a while to recover from "...price of the cocaine and hookers that are mandatory purchases..." which had me laughing aloud (just as well I was not drinking coffee or more enticing bev'y)!
    Your idea for 'colouring in' the terrain is really clever and looks beaut.
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks James. I love the ACW so there will be lots of it on this blog. 😀

      Delete