Tuesday, June 14, 2022

76/100

 
Now where was I before being so rudely interrupted by dumb real-life problems?
Oh yes, painting miniatures for the Dark Ages.  The stuff that REALLY matters.


76 / 100


In the continuing journey of painting 100 dark age type miniatures before painting anything else just to see how long it takes me; I cross the 3 quarters marker with 76 painted miniatures today.   Hooray for 3/4s complete!
While there is no real deadline; I don't want it to take all year just because it'd  be really depressing if it took a year just to paint 100 miniatures.  Especially because I don't paint all that well and more especially because I am actually trying to have NOT take a year....
The year is 50% over and I am 75% done; so I have +25% happiness from a baseline of being sad.  


The mighty 10 this time around comprise of 4 random Viking hirdmen,
probably with generic Viking names like Erik and Sweyn,
and two command stands with 3 miniatures each (that adds up to10 right?)





Here is the Anglo Saxon Command stand.
I'm pretty sure the leader figure is Gripping Beast's 'Alfred the Great.'
I'm not sure because I just had it in a ziplock bag.  But I know he's a leader
because he's pointing his sword in the air.


Here is the Viking stand.
He defies convention and has his sword pointed down!  What a rebel!

He also has a strange Pagan power....
His hair is blowing to the left while the banner is flying to the right...


Aside comment:  Thanks Ray!

Speaking of banners: the banner for the Viking command stand is from the Blog 'Don't Roll a 1' written by Ray.  Turns out I didn't have a suitable raven/viking banner so did an online image search and the blog popped up.  I thought "hey, I know that guy!"  (well kinda, I read his blog and comment once in awhile).
Thanks Ray, appreciate the resource. 


No close ups of the 4 generic Viking hirdmen because who gives a damn.  No-body.
So instead, the new 4 new Vikings go onto a Big Battle Base (movement tray) that had 4 empty spots and the whole things gets lead by it's new hair flying leader into the storage tub.


To the Storage tub! For adventure and plunder!
"hey-ho, hey-ho,
off to storage we go."


24 More



24 more miniatures to go before the magical number of 100.  24 is nice because it divides so easily down the middle into 2 batches of 12 miniatures.  The next 12 are already up and waiting for their turn through the agonizing painting process.

What's it gonna be, more Vikings?!?!
You Betcha!!
Pics of unpainted miniatures are super exciting!!!!
I'm gonna use MORE exclamation marks!!!!!!
!!!
!


Public Service Announcement


DID YOU KNOW that there is a 3rd Bill and Ted movie called "Bill and Ted Face the Music"  ??!!!





I KNOW RIGHT??  How did we miss that?  

If you're like me then you will find it on Amazon and watch it immediately.  
If you have no idea about the Excellent franchise that is the Bill and Ted movies then you have a telephone booth hole in your heart.  


Party On Dudes!

Till next time.
Thanks for reading.
Double thanks for writing a comment.

30 comments:

  1. Stew, you continue making good progress toward your 100-figure goal. My original ECD of September still has a chance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan. Sept does sound about right. Kinda depends on how many paint nights I’ll be able to squeeze in. 😀

      Delete
  2. More nice work Stew, you do under estimate your own painting ability I think....these look great. You are also making pretty steady progress too...74 figures in 180 days, that's lightning fast progress 😄 (Just kidding). I am sure you will get the last two dozen completed in short order.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kieth. 24 does now sound quite easy to paint.
      I don’t really have a gauge on if this really is fast or slow painting. I’m sure compared to some it really is lightening fast production and to others it’s barely anything. It’s just what I can do. 😀
      Glad you like my painting though. 😀

      Delete
  3. Great progress Stewart, really coming together now, and not many more to go, keep up the great work

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave. 24 for more to go and it doesn’t really feel impossible and then I can paint something else…which I guess is a good thing. 😀😀

      Delete
  4. Very nice. Great combination of shades.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jim. I appreciate the comment. I actually thought the pallet was quite limited…😀

      Delete
  5. Very nice painting! But you are right, all too often the newly painted figures go straight to storage :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ben. I appreciate the comment. But it’s true; the newly painted March off to storage maybe yo never be seen again…😀

      Delete
  6. Ok,ok, you got me. I confess. I have a mega phone booth hole in my heart.

    Great minis though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mike. But not to worry; not everyone has such refined movie tastes as I do who can appreciate the Bill and Ted trilogy. Lololol. 😀

      Delete
  7. Well, although not tops, I seem to recall 76 being a passing score back when I was in school (and many were the times I was happy with achieving a solid C).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ed. Though it will be easy to earn tops on this self imposed assignment because it takes neither skill nor luck to achieve but just time and effort. 😀

      Delete
  8. Most excellent miniatures dude! I didn't know it was a trilogy, I've introduced my daughter to it and she likes it( and she has impecable taste!) I've been to the castle in Italy which stood in for medieval England in the first film, I think Tom Cruise got married there?
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks dude! Most excellent that you visited the castle. I might just have to watch the first two films over again. While painting of course. 😀

      Delete
  9. Great figure there Stew,just remember when you get to game with them it's "best three out of five"

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm glad to see that you're making steady progress on your goal. They look good to my eyes and I think you'll have no trouble hitting your goal. The real question is: What will you do after those are done? That's what I want to know! :)

    As for Bill and Ted, never seen any of them. The original movie came out when I was four so I guess it isn't hard to see why it passed me by. I also have to admit that I don't get Keanu Reeves. I guess he just isn't from my generation so I can't appreciate him? I can't really say but he seems like an actor who actually isn't all that good at acting (even if it sounds like he's a nice guy).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jeff. When these are all done the most obvious thing to do is play some sort of mass battle games with every troop on the table and take lots of pictures and post to them on the internet for an enlarged sense of self worth…😀

      Delete
  11. Good work Stew steady progress on the Vikings 👍 what will you do when the 100 target is reached ? Not sure Bill and Ted movies will sustain your enthusiasm for long

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt. What I’ll do is arrange a mass battle dark ages to celebrate and an excuse to put every
      Last
      One
      On the table at once!😀

      Delete
  12. Another great batch of figures. I recognized the footsore windblown hair guy right away as being a leader... even if he is not waving that sword around like he just does not care.

    Sorry about the late reply, some crazy real world stuff going on, meant that I did not get to read blogs as much as I would like (all day).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks David. I really don’t think there’s a rule about what makes a late reply. Besides; it’s just a silly blog post and I know you had a lot of stuff going on from our emails. 😀

      Yeah the hair blowin guy is actually a pretty cool miniature I’m glad I made him blonde bc I think it adds a little sumptin sumptin ya know? 😀

      Delete
    2. Yes, that yellow blond is very vibrant and it says "send some bolts my way!" Fortunately for him, none of the armies of that period commonly had battlefield artillery.

      Delete
    3. Lol. ‘Tis true. And I tend to paint a lot of Vikings blonde just to make them different than the Saxons. 😀

      Delete
  13. Superb painting, basing and banners...Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil. Appreciate you saying so. 😀

      Delete
  14. Great to see the banner flying high Stew! Thanks for the link back as well.

    ReplyDelete