Wednesday, April 13, 2022

50/100 Half Way There

 Cue up the Bon Jovi song...


"I gotta hoooold on, to the simple plan I wrought,
It doesn't even matter those new miniatures I bought.
I got 50 done, and that's a lot (or not).
I'll give it a shot! 

Whooaaah, I'm Half Way there,
WhooAAAH, Painting on a prayer!
Brush in Hand, I'll make it I swear
WhooAAH, Painting on a prayer!

Paaaaiiiinting ooonnn a praaaayyyerrrr.
(doh doh doh)


That song came out in 1986.  Even I was young back then...
(Song was "Living on Prayer."  I'm sure you figured it out by my typing-singing).


Half Way There


Hey look at that, it's only April and I've managed to paint up 50 miniatures out of the 100 planned.  Which is kinda amazing for me for I am not known for being a speedy painter nor someone who enjoys painting in general.

Go me!

Or maybe painting miniatures to an acceptable tabletop standard isn't all that hard and I should just get over myself.  And its still gonna be October / another 4 months to finish all 100 at this rate of production. Not that impressive.  

Anyway, I finished up another batch of 11 miniatures to make an even 50.  Mostly Saxon Thegns this time around.


11 badasses


These two Thegns like to fight in flower patches.


Adding these new 11 to the previous painted men that were just standing around
is enough to fill up two of the Big Battle Bases

Speaking of Big Battle Bases

As 11 miniatures didn't feel like a big batch to paint (oh how things change over time.  I used to think it was), at the same time I did up some more of the Big Battle Bases so that more newly painted miniatures will have somewhere to go.  It's a bonus job.


Big Battle Bases is just a fancy term for Movement Trays


Piles of MDF and Shame



I mentioned in a previous post that I learned that the company 4Ground was going out of business this year; and since all my dark ages buildings are from 4Ground I thought I might pick up a few more while I still could. So that they all match and look consistent.  
No sooner then after I hit publish on the blog post did I travel over to Noble Knight games and check out what 4ground stuff they had...


This arrived the other day.  My wife told me that I had "a fun package from a gaming company" without the 'what did you order THIS TIME?' vibe.  So that must mean that I do a good job at intercepting and hiding the mail.  
Truth be told she never gives me that vibe.  She gets fun stuff in the mail too and we generally show each other so we can make ooh and awe sounds at each other's hobby  stuff.


I have no idea when I'll get around to actually putting those dark ages houses together.  Sometimes this hobby is strange; in that we spend our hard earned money on items that are just gonna sit around in boxes being useless.  Taking food from out of my children's mouths just for the possibility  of having it in the future.  

And I've done it SEVERAL TIMES.


Here's my pile of MDF kits for Dead Man's Hand.  A Western Town just waiting to be built
but has sat around for years.



Oh, and here's that church I got for my AWI terrain.
(Actually it's part of the same DMH range so could pull double duty.
I know a church in the AWI timeframe would not have a steeple.)



Not to mention these 8 or so 15mm MDF buildings for my ACW tables.
These are from a kickstarter campaign.
Long ago.

On the bright side; if the power goes out for an extended time I have plenty of firewood.  Course that means that I'll have to buy more MDF kits.   Course the power went out in the first place because I probably bought MDF kits instead of paying PG&E.  Kinda a viscous cycle.  



Bye


Bye!
Till next time.  Happy Easter.  I'll spending the rest of the week making a track out of cardboard and duct tape so we can do our traditional Easter Egg race down the stairs.  

23 comments:

  1. Look at that 50 by Easter, you are well on your way to painting your 100 by the summer ( the whole October nonsense is just negative thinking!) Nice MDF kits to lay down like a fine wine,we're not allowed to use MDF at work as the chemicals used aren't green enough, we have to use birch faced ply which because it comes from Ukraine and Russia is sadly not available but at least you have lot's of kits!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain. Your right; no more stinkin thinkin. And MDF kits just get better with age. 😀

      Delete
  2. Great work on the speed painting there Stew....you will be giving WAB Dean a run for his money soon! That IS a significant investment in mdf buildings...they are not exactly cheap! My wife greets the infrequent arrival of reinforcements with happy and encouraging phrases like "You have ANOTHER parcel"!

    A viscous circle....sounds like a rather sticky situation to be in...take care!

    Have a fun Easter, I used to spend half an hour hiding chocolate eggs around our garden an writing clues that six to ten year olds would be able to solve....occasionally, I do miss the fact my kids aren't children any longer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kieth. It’s not all fun egg races. Last night after I told my 4 year old son that he had to eat his green beans before more potato chips said to me, his father, “ you’re not the boss of me and I can do what I want!” And stamped his little foot. 😀

      Delete
    2. Lol....yes we had that sort of stuff too!

      Delete
  3. Another great set of figures, and at this pace you should be able to "finish" early. Quotation marks, because of course you will have more to add on later... (like Normans to fight both armies combined).

    The MDF stuff looks interesting, although the real difficulty is not building it, but finding space to store it.

    And happy Easter, hope the egg race goes well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don’t tell anyone, but he already owns a large dark ages Norman army….

      Delete
    2. TIs true about the Normans.

      Terrain is a storage problem as I have many items that are large and problematic. 😀

      Delete
  4. Stew, nice job on the Bon Jovi and the painting output! You are really on fire now. My estimate is woefully out of date. Impressive haul on the buildings too.

    Happy Easter to you and best wishes in The Great Easter Egg Race!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks JF. I thought you guesstimated October which will put you and me righon target. Not that there’s an actual deadline or anything. 😀

      Delete
  5. Nice painting production--from one slow painter to another. And the standard looks well above basic gaming standard to my eye. As far as power outages...I don't think burning mdf is a good idea: I believe fumes may be toxic. Best to burn something safe, like wads of paper money, much the same thing, in the end, when you think about it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How are you managing NOT to build that stagecoach? I'd feel compelled to do it, just to drive it around. And is it just me, or does "Farms of Gettysburg" sound like a photospread in Better Homes and Gardens? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Markus. I was compelled to get it, bc how can one not have a stage coach? But as the whole project has set idle for years I have no hurry to build it. 😀

      Delete
  7. Okay, I’ll give in and admit that the BonJovi effort was very clever… but only this once! Lol

    Like the Thegns! 50 makes my slow painting efforts look even more slow. I need to pick up the pace!

    All that 4ground goodness…. I’d happily put it all together for you (I like doing that stuff justforfun) so it doesn’t just sit and gather dust and become a fire hazard. I also want that Dark Ages set…

    Good post mate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dai. I knew I’d win you over eventually. 😀

      I’ll keep that in mind about the outsourcing; I’d be a good excuse to get together.

      Delete
  8. Excellent progress Stewart, already up to 50 of the hundred, would you have thought that when you set yourself the challenge.
    Nice buildings, and if challenges help get things completed, I do have a scenery challenge running in July/August which these would be perfect for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave. No I wouldn’t of thought that but this the first time I’ve tried such a thing.

      I’m enjoying your comments on my blog and hope you like mine on yours. 😀

      If I’m done by July a scenery challenge might be a good change of pace.

      Delete
    2. Most definitely enjoying both Stewart, and if you can be part of the Season of Scenery that would be great.

      Delete
  9. That is quite a painting haul! There is hope for you to become a serious painter yet! ;) You got some great kits from 4Ground as well. I wouldn't worry about them sitting around for a while. Every hobbyist ends up buying stuff they don't need right in the name of fun (and probably FOMO and addiction). I bet nobody who comments or follows this blog can admit to doing anything differently :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jeff! It’s true we likely all buy a little (or a lot) more than we can handle at a time. That’s why it’s fun to talk about on the blog as I know I’ll be in good company. 😀

      Delete
  10. Mate, barely over a quarter of the year in and your halfway home to the one hundred, well done!
    That's quite the haul of mdf you have there, lots of good stuff (I have all those kits myself too lol)- I built that church last year but have yet to put a post up about it. Watch those front doors when the time comes to build it, they're thin and fiddley 🤬

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ivor! It is encouraging and I’ll be a hero of the one hundred!
      Doors are often the tough part of the kits. Good looking out. I’m sure I’ll get around to *some day *.
      😀

      Delete