Tuesday, February 1, 2022

It's a start; 10/100

 If a journey of thousand miles begins with a single step; then the painting of a hundred miniatures begins with a single brush stroke.  Time to start painting.



It's Painting Night


(and the feelings right, it's painting night, oh what a night)

It's a January Saturday night, and the wife is out of town at work, which means that right after the kids go to bed I can do a long paint session to start on my project of painting 100 dark ages miniatures; because I won't have to waste time pretending to listen to her talk while thinking about something else.  

(Don't worry, she doesn't read the blog).

(IF you are reading this Sweets, it's just a joke.  Of COURSE I am paying attention to every word you say)

Here is how the night goes:

8:30 and the last kid is tucked in.  Spend 10 minutes just enjoying the quiet that is 3 children NOT talking.  Maybe look at a wargame blog.  Have a cup of coffee, otherwise I'll be asleep by 930.  

8:40 - time for some quick chores just because it bothers me when their not done.  Wash the dishes (because I don't like dirty dishes in the sink overnight), Sweep up the Zillion crumbs on the floor that the kids left (otherwise we get ants in the morning).  Put out the garbage can fire in the kitchen..  that kind of stuff.

9:10 - Time to get serious now.  


To mark the occasion of painting miniatures for the first time after a year, I broke out a new Winsor Series 7 brush that the wife gets me every Christmas.  I also had to re-activate the wet palette by soaking the paper in hot water and re-wetting the sponge, because it was all desert dry.


I also dug out my magnifier, because I can't paint anything without them, because looking at things up close goes all fuzzy.


My wife thinks I look good in these.  We do a sexy roleplay where I am the dirty dentist and she is the single mom with a tooth ache and no dental insurance....



Moving on....

I teased Keith over on the Bydand blog about posting pics of his family versus himself,
so he posted a selfie just to satisfy me.  I figured I owed him one in return.
Though this is not the first time this GORGEOUS face o' mine has graced the posts of this blog.



Getting to the painting desk


JF of the Palouse blog did a post about his game room / hobby space set up
and stated that I should share mine.  This is my permanent painting / hobby area.
Literally in the corner of the house that is farthest away from anywhere people might wander.

It goes through tides of being messy (like in the middle of a project like Right Now) and being clean(er).


Interruptions


910 - start painting
930 - Son #2 is up (3 years old), needs the bathroom, drinks some water, and a new tuck in.
940 - back to painting
1002 - Son #3 is crying (1 year old).  I give him a bit as maybe he's just adjusting and will go back to sleep.
1010 - nope,  Still crying.  dirty diaper and he is hungry.  He usually sleeps through the night but occasionally wakes up every now and then. I give him a bottle, put him back in his crib, and then I realize that was the last clean bottle so now I have to wash them all for tomorrow...
1030 - Check on Daughter #1 (8 years old), at least she is still sleeping...
1035 - BACK to painting
1045 - Wife calls to say goodnight.  Not a problem because I talk to her on speaker phone so I still have my hands free.  Until she asks me to look for something that she thinks she left behind in the bedroom upstairs...
1110 - Step outside for a cigarette; because what the wife don't know won't hurt her (she really doesn't read the blog).  While outside I notice that the house is about to be attacked by Dark Seekers / zombie vampires.  Let out a long sigh, go back in and activate the perimeter defenses and take them out all Will Smith style from I Am Legend.

That was a good movie wasn't it?
And he looks just like me.

1130 - Daughter #1 is up saying she heard a noise and "is it morning yet?"  

AND YOU GET THE IDEA....


But Still, Progress is Made


I finished the first 10 of my 100 miniatures project.  Only took me all month.  Behold!

The only real trick to painting Dark Age warriors is to make the leg wraps
NOT look like leg warmers.



All good Saxon Thegns have Mustaches.


Everyone likes a good standard bearer.
Too bad all I have is this one.
I'm sure he has a mustache under that chainmail face thingy..


No need to show close ups of all 10.  They all kinda look the same and my painting is not that good.  


Everyone onto the movement tray (or as I say, the Big Battle Base).
I already had the base done, so that doesn't count for nothing.



And Here We Depart


10 miniatures completed out of the 100 planned.  It's a start.  Gonna be a long project and hopefully nothing will distract me.  That's not foreshadowing at ALL.  

Thanks for reading.  Double thanks for writing a comment.  Till next time.  

34 comments:

  1. Great work Stew, the figures look very nice indeed. My estimate for project completion looks to be in the ball park, at the rate of ten per month, you should have all one hundred completed by the end of October! The first picture with your role playing gear would have sufficed, but thanks for the second one too. Your painting area looks like mine...when it's been tidied up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kieth. Slow steady progress is the name of the game. I’m hoping to push that October finish line up.

      And one selfie deserves another. 🎈

      Delete
  2. Nicely done, ten is a good start, a nice workable number on the bench.

    I too have been acquainted with the benefits of the eye visor and wet palette - wouldn’t be without them now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Norm. I might start doing 12 at a time to increase production without being overwhelmed.

      And yes the visor is mandatory now for any painting. Getting older is lame. πŸ˜€

      Delete
  3. Hey that's some good progress! I think your painting is great, and looks splendid when they are all together... not a confused pile of details, nor a muddy mass.

    And your nights alone with the kids sound like mine, except you did not waste time with video games, or collapse in bed early (which inevitably has a kid or dog in it).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks David. The joys of fatherhood eh? Though it’s not all bad I guessπŸ˜€

      I don’t play video Games anymore bc I really don’t know when I would squeeze it in. πŸ˜€

      Delete
  4. Much like garlic, Chihuahua's do a stellar job at keeping the vampyres at bay (It's the annoying yapping dontyaknow). I'd lend you mine, but they are busy protecting my own home.

    I think 10 done to a very nice standard like yours is a great start and in a weekend too? I think you'll be done by May at that rate. Bring on the next 10!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dai. Those dogs are the devil themselves; that’s why the vampires stay away.

      No, not one weekend but it took the entire month. That was all just showing what happens when I try to do some serious painting. πŸ˜€

      Delete
  5. For your sake Stew I really hope she doesn't read the blog or has a good sense of humour. Which I assume all our wives have as we play with toy soldiers:)
    Good start to the project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tony. She does have a good sense of humor. But she’s never come to me and said “I read your latest blog post. Nice job.”
      It’s just another silly thing her husband does. πŸ˜€

      Delete
  6. Figures look super, Stew! As for your rate of production, my initial wager of October seems still a solid bet. Thanks for showing your painting area. with all of your household duties, I am surprised even 10 figures made it through.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan. It’s a small painting area but I like it. It does the job. October is the sensible goal but I’m gonna try and improve it. πŸ˜€

      Delete
  7. Hal Thinglum, of the old MWAN Magazine, once wrote a rather wistful account of a "painting day" when he had the house to himself--yours is a splendidly demented version in that genre. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ed. Glad you enjoyed it. I’m sure we all get interrupted by stuff when we’re trying to hobby. πŸ˜€

      Delete
  8. I’m almost exhausted by your life Stew…..but glad you managed to get some relaxed painting in, nice figures πŸ‘

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt. It IS exhausting. Lol. πŸ˜€

      Delete
  9. Mate, I have so missed your posts, absolutely hilarious 🀣 I can tell we'd get on famously, we're a lot alike with your sense of humor - if you tell me you're a MST3k/Rifftrax guy, it's almost like we were long lost brothers lol
    Great stuff on the hobby, brushwork on the models looks fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ivor. Too bad we’re separated by an ocean. I’m glad you enjoy the posts; I try to be witty.
      I’m familiar with MST3K but not the other one. I’ll have to check it out. πŸ˜€
      Hope you are doing well enough.

      Delete
  10. Nice figures Stew, I've got 4 daughters, luckily the youngest is 14. Nothing changes though, now instead of nappies and bottles, it's Daddytaxi and an ever open wallet. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ray. Appreciate the sentiment. Who knew having children would be such a forever thing? πŸ˜€

      Delete
  11. That’s fantastic progress Stew and as always, I never visit your blog and not laugh out aloud! Thank you mate. Always, always entertaining.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carlo. I’m glad you enjoyed it. πŸ˜€

      Delete
  12. As usual, your update provided plenty of humor. The latest minis look great, especially considering all of the interruptions. Can't a man just wield his paintbrush in peace?! Bonus points for painting while having the goggles on :) I feel fortunate to be able to paint without any vision enhancers but you can bet I'd be wearing something like that if that is what it took to keep me hobbying!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jeff. My eyes didn’t start to go fuzzy on me till my mid 40s and honestly; I kinda feel like it’s a BIG betrayal. πŸ˜€

      Delete
  13. The 10 men you've painted Stewart look great, and tie in well with the big base. Life always finds a way of interrupting when you're trying to get into the flow, but sounds like you handled the situation well, and still managed to get some painting done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave. I appreciate the comment. Life does interrupt. Oh well. πŸ˜€
      It’s a good thing I had those perimeter defenses.

      Delete
  14. Great looking dark age types, my wife went out the other Saturday and I had a quiet night in,mostly basing but still good hobby time, daughter's at university so I can't pretend to be babysitting at the same time! Come on you can get these done by the summer!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain. I CAN’T wait till I can have a really solid night of productive hobbying like that. It’ll be in 18 ish years before all the kids are out the house. πŸ˜€
      I’d like to have the 100 done by late summer. That’s being optimistic.

      Delete
  15. Nice figures. Thanks for making me chortle, and for posting a photo of your magnifying lenses. I'd like to talent scout your "Dr Horrible's sing-along Blog" style picture to star in my current campaign as a Scientist. all duly credited of course. No remuneration other than the fame of starring in a Not-Quite-Pulp story I'm afraid, and the instant boost in street cred with your children.:-)

    If you have any objections, please drop me a line at https://notquitemechanised.wordpress.com/2022/02/10/not-quite-rocket-science-garden-wargaming-3/

    Regards, Chris.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chris. Glad you liked it and thanks for the comment. It’s funny; I actually just rewatched Dr Horrible recently.
      You can use the pic if you like; though why not use dr horrible himself? NPH is almost as good looking as I am. πŸ˜€

      Delete
    2. NPH doesn't have the international wargames cachet that Prof. Stew Myopia brings to a production. You are now a superstar :-)

      https://notquitemechanised.wordpress.com/2022/02/15/not-quite-rocket-science-garden-wargaming-4/

      Regards, Chris.

      Delete
  16. Laughed out loud when relating to you pretending to listen to your wife talking, and laughed even louder when you said she doesn't read your blog. At which point my own wife wanted to know what I was laughing at and I had to quickly shut you down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pat. Glad you enjoyed it. My wife has much better things to do than read a blog of miniature war games. πŸ˜€

      Delete
  17. Nice blog about war games if you want to know more about war games then must check out worldwar4game

    ReplyDelete