Friday, February 25, 2022

023/100

Enough dickin around with Star Trek (see previous post), though there will be more dickin around in space in future posts.  Now though; back to the task at hand.  


On The Way


February has turned out to be a productive month, as I completed 13 more Dark Ages warrior types.  I'm gonna try and paint in larger batches than 10, otherwise I'll be doing this all year before I get to 100 miniatures.

I have a vague notion that if I can get these done by late August I can go to Pacificon in early September with a mass dark ages battle to put on.  Gives me about 6 months. It's good to have goals.


Any-hooters, here are the proud 13.

The heroes of the hour.
A mix of plastic and metal figures.



Here are some close ups so you can see the AH-mazing paint jobs.
That is said tongue in cheek, it's just average paint jobs, like everything I paint.


This guys has a hair cut like he could be an extra in a
Planet of the Apes movie.






This metal miniature is going to eventually drop his spear.
no amount of super glue will keep it in place.
It's gonna happen because the hand is not big enough to hold it.
I understand his pain, because I also have small  delicate hands.








10 guys go onto the big battle base (fancy phrase for a movement tray),
which I already had done so no extra points there.
The other 3 will have to wait their turn.


That's a total of 23 done towards the goal of 100.  Solidly on the way now.


Bonus:


As an extra bonus, I finished up the last of my tiny dice counters, because they were sitting on my painting desk and I was already in the process of painting bases brown and gluing on flock...


Miniature in there just for scale.
I now have 50 of these things, which is plenty for anything I could use them for;
basically any game mechanic that require tracking as long as it's 1-6.


I know!  I am a burst of activity these days. if by activity you mean sitting at a desk and fussing around with glue and paint.  Doesn't really increase the heart rate or make me sweat; I'm not THAT out of shape. 



Hubby Points


I have been earning buco-mucho hubby points lately for all manner of things.  My Valentines Day gift to the wife was that  I planned a weekend away in March to one of her favorite places.  Cha-ching.  

Also all manner of activities I have done.  One that was quite different; preparing ginger bread houses for the girl scouts that the little kids could decorate.  

One can buy gingerbread house kits, but that starts to get expensive for 13 girls.  To save costs we got regular gingerbread crackers and hot glued them together.  But first, to get the house shape the tops of the crackers had to be to cut at a roughly 45 degree angle..

With the skill of surgeon, I took a serrated knife and cut out top corners of the crackers,
 making an inverted V.
It took many, many, many crackers as they would constantly break.
So not a very good surgeon.


Here We Are, At the End


I got in 3 thrilling posts in Feb, the shortest month of the year.  I could be getting good at this blogging business.  Took long enough.
Till Next time.
Thanks for reading.  Double thanks for leaving a comment, I do like those. 


26 comments:

  1. Good progress, Stew!

    Is hot glue digestible?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan. No it’s not. But if you’re like us you never eat the house. You eat half the frosting and candy while decorating it and then it sits on the counter for 3 weeks before being thrown away. 😀

      Delete
  2. Good to see more bearded progress! 23, a short step from a 1/4 of the way through already! I think you'll be done before May.

    Gingerbread houses never get eaten in my house either. Never get constructed either mind. I am a grump.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are a grump. 😀
      Thanks for the encouragement my friend. This is fast production for me.

      Delete
  3. Nice progress Stew...your delicate little hands have done a great job. Fancy looking devices you have for holding the figures too...mine are just blu tacked to off cuts of mdf etc!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kieth. Hands of a surgeon I got.
      That’s a GW painting handle that my wife got me one Christmas. It’s kinda nice. 😀

      Delete
  4. Great work Stew. I struggle with Gripping Beadt spearmen, particularly the pies you highlighted, for years and have started to use green stuff yo create a club, use a scalpel to scratch on some fat fingers, allow to dry hard, and then dremel a hole for the spear to slot into nice and snug.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carlo. Maybe I should of given the guy a sword instead.
      Yeah; gripping beast metals either have really shallow hands or seem to completely closed needing drilled or something. I do like the figures though. 😀

      Delete
  5. J B Kwikweld, my friend, available at any hardware/home improvement store--the answer for sticking metal on metal (swords, weapons, arms, shields..,). Not recommended for ginger bread houses, though. Check out my post for "how to"

    https://edmwargamemeanderings.blogspot.com/2019/10/to-arms-to-arms.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ed. I remember that post now. Im actually gonna be headed to a hardware store soon as it turns out. I’ll try to remember to pick some up bc I have lots of metal Vikings to do. 😀

      Delete
  6. A quarter of the way there Stew, congrats 😀
    As we both know, any progress is great progress. Question, are your figures there double based?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ivor!
      It’s a plastic base with a fender washer glued on the bottom. It’s just how the basing system evolved. The metal washer allows me to use magnets in the storage tubs and movement trays. 😀

      Delete
  7. Another base done which is its own reward. I like the highlight being but on the hem of the clothing, a simple device that adds nicely to the final result.

    ReplyDelete
  8. All 13 look great Stewart, and I particularly like the shield design work you've done.
    Well done on the hubby points, and ingenious way of doing the gingerbread houses with the girls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave. The shield s are all transfers from LBM studios: so not much work at all. 😀

      Hubby points to be turned in later for gaming.

      Delete
  9. Gingerbread houses for 13 girls!? No wonder hobby time has been at a premium! ;) I think the paint jobs on the Dark Age blokes are solid. There aren't a lot of details to work with on those minis and while you could push the contrast (mostly the highlights) further, they still aren't going to be as flashy as an NMM Space Marine for example. All that is to say, I think they look good and you've gotten a good chunk done so don't be too hard on yourself! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jeff. I don’t mind being an average painter as usually I just want them done. As long as they’re not atrocious I’m satisfied. 😀
      Luckily dark ages guys are fairly simple and hard to mess up.

      Delete
  10. If you hot glue the "gingerbread" then how can they eat it?

    The paint jobs are far better than average! (particularly if you consider all the poor fellows pushed around the table in their bare metal/plastic, or lingering in a drawer somewhere) And you have a lot more than three colors on there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks David. You don’t eat the house, you eat the frosting and candy while making it and then it sits on the counter taking up space for weeks. 😀

      Delete
  11. Wow, beautiful figures here, I do like the faces and the shields...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great looking dark age types , I like the die holders too!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain! That’s just my type. 😀

      Delete
  13. These guys are beautifully painted Stew! If these are your 'Average' then my best is way below average. Wish I still had your youthful eyesight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vol. As I know you have 20+ years on me I’ll accept you calling my eyes youthful even though these days I need a magnifying glass to paint anything. 😀

      Delete