Wednesday, December 8, 2021

The Viking Army

 

Here we have a heathen Viking army; coming at us in the dead of winter. 
I feel like Alfred the Great.

That's a history joke.  It's High Brow humor today.


Dark Ages Viking Army


As was the goal before the year was over, I got all the movement trays done for the Vikings.  Now it's time to line them all out and see what they look like.  It's a PARADE.  Everybody loves a parade. even the dead love a parade.

As I did with the Saxon Army I'll lay these guys out like I am gonna play a game of Hail Caesar. 


Viking Army Leader with his bezerker buddies




28mm viking army
View from the boom camera




28mm viking army
Whole army




Graphic of the units in the army for clarity.

Isn't that cool?  
what's that?  You want a few more pics?  No problem!  I did take close to a hundred.



Helicopter shot





Army left flank


Army Right flank.
Each flank leader has 2 Bezerker buddies each. 



Last Whole army shot.


Army totals: 18 bases each with 10 miniatures.

1 archer unit
9 Hirdmen units (men in armor)
8 Bondi units (men without armor)


Bezerker Flexibility



"You make me go Bezerk."

Yes, I'm sure bezerkers are quite flexible.  But get your mind out of the gutter--this is a HIGH Brow post.  Though I did put that costume in my online cart for a future purchase.  Yet it would take a LOT of hubby points to get the wife to wear it

In Hail Caesar; the original plan is use the individual bezerker models as indicators for extra attacks.  The miniature is assigned to a unit and when the attacks are used, just remove the miniature.  That's why in the above pics the Bezerkers are just hanging out next to the commanders; probably talking too loudly.  But who's gonna tell a Bezerker to shush? 

However, it's just as easy to have units of Bezerkers that would have a high Clash value with aggressive traits and probably a poor armor save.  Other rule sets would like them to have their own base and be a unit unto their on as well.  So as a bonus I made two bases for the Bezerkers, because who doesn't like to have it both ways?



Bezerker Bases


I put some blanks in the trays to make the bezerkers appear more like an open order unit.  This is to make them visually distinct from the other bases and also because I imagine Bezerkers fighting that way; not in a tight formation but each one dramatically swinging weapons, spinning around, and doing back flips over the enemy.  Though looking at it now, perhaps a little too open order.  I only have 10 bezerkerish miniatures so I just went with 5 on each bases but would probably look better with 7.  

If done this way the Viking army is 20 bases strong.  2 more than the Saxons; they're really upset over it. 


"I borrowed this axe from my sister."




Where Was I Again?  I Was Distracted...


Oh, As I was saying there are 18 bases in the Saxon army and 18 or 20 bases (depending on how I like the Bezerkers) in the Viking army.  That exhausts my supply of previously painted Saxons and Vikings except for a few dregs left over (not enough to make a unit).

18 units a side (36 total) is pretty good for a 1vs1 mass battle game, but it's not quite the level needed for a mutilplayer mass battle game; 2vs2 or 3v3.  I really like  2v2 games, I feel it's the goldilocks of game sizes.  Especially when you have to teach rules which is ALWAYS the case because nobody plays the same rule sets anymore.  2vs2 usually means I can teach and play, while 3vs3 usually means just playing host; which is alright but more than 6 people is above my competency level for running a game.  I'm reading these Historicon recaps on TMP and Blogs these days and some people are reporting running games of 9 or 14 people by themselves!  That sounds like madness to me.   

For a nice 2vs2 dark ages battle (and the battle of Ashdown would be a perfect scenario) I think each side should have around 10-12 units a player (so 40/48 bases total).  I feel like that's the next natural milestone for the dark ages collection; a comfortable amount of bases for 2vs2 mass battle gaming. 


Time to Paint some miniatures; finally.


Curiously, I've gone all year without painting a miniature.  I've done other stuff of course; lot of terrain and some Longships come to mind, but NO miniatures.  But that's gonna have to change to reach the next milestone.   Each 'big battle base' / movement tray has 10 miniatures on it, and I'm thinking that the Saxon and Viking armies each could use about 4 more bases each, so that's 80 miniatures.  The lead pile can supply that number pretty easily; but something of a daunting number to paint for me.   I'll probably break it up in batches of 20 for sanity sake.  


I did happen to make tow extra movement trays.
They look a little sad without miniatures on them.


Who knows?  Maybe after a year hiatus the painting miniatures will actually be fun?  I guess all things are possible.


Fail


A few posts ago, I wrote about how I spent some time baby proofing the house for son #3, turning a year old this month.  Apparently I missed one cabinet.

He thinks "What's going on up here?"
"This isn't at all precarious."


Till next time.  Thanks for reading.  Double thanks for writing a comment.

26 comments:

  1. Stew, I come for the models but stay for the story. Another good one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good work we all love a parade , Not sure what makes me nervous the most, the climbing child, or the sharp axes and short skirts 👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt. Not the hordes of Vikings? 😀
      The climbing toddler made me nervous too but enough to stop me from taking a picture first.

      Delete
  3. A goodly collection that ranked up with the flocked bases gives a good sense of volume. I would be tempted to paint in groups of just 10, which conveniently for you is a base worth. very do-able and you can start the next colour knowing you will kill it in ten minutes or so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Norm. 20 to 20 miniatures in one go is about right and about how many I can paint at once. Dark age figures I remember aren’t terribly hard to paint given that they don’t tend to have fancy uniforms. 😀

      Delete
  4. What a lovely army! Having the pretty movement trays helps, but the mass of figures is where it is at.

    And #3 of course got into one of the most dangerous cupboards...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks David. It all came together nicely; figures and trays.
      And of course he did. He’s the littlest rascal. 😀

      Delete
  5. An impressive force and a good looking parade. Seems to me that you could drop the numbers of figures per base (counting the rounds as figures) and up the base count if you wanted to get a game or two in while painting up the additional figs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ed. Now that idea is utterly scandalous and abhorrent because it actually makes a lot of sense. Just pull 1 or 2 miniatures off the 20 man trays and put in a plug and use them to fill additional bases? I’m ashamed I didn’t think of that myself. 😀

      Delete
    2. Leave it to lazy people (like me) to come up with workarounds :)

      Delete
  6. Cat burglar career in that boy’s future! That or peeping Tom. Lol

    Viking horde is very impressive! 80 figs to paint tho… bloody hell. Good luck with that mate. I still have around that many Vikings and Saxons of my own to get done and that is a project that stalled out long ago.

    My wife wouldn’t wear those costumes. Ever. I don’t think yours would either mate regardless of hubby points

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dai. Right now I’m feeling pretty optimistic about churning out 80ish figures. Couldn’t hurt to give it a try.

      And your wife might never wear such an outfit but I’m sure mine would if given the *proper* motivation. After all, it is my birthday this month and she wouldn’t have to wear it for long…😀😀

      Delete
  7. I'd be less concerned with precarious, and more with a Swiftian scenario. That's a stove top, yeah? ;) Vikings look ace. Not sure I'm ever going to have a horde that big, but it's nice to have goals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Markus. I appreciate the Swiftain reference; very high brow. Though I did have to look it up. 😀

      Delete
  8. Nice looking scandahooligan horde,scary last pic but at least he's a problem solver!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain! He more like a problem creator. 😀

      Delete
  9. 180 Vikings is nothing to sneer at. Quite the horde! And those two berserkers certainly look flexible, ahem.
    Your little one appears quite mischievous, methinks this apple didn't fall far from the tree!
    Best,
    Vol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vol. it’s a decent sized host for sure. I just want it to more decent. 😀
      I wouldn’t mind if he turns out as mischievous as I was in my younger days, but not more so bc I avoided any serious trouble or arrests.

      Delete
  10. Thanks to Warhammer Fantasy and Games Workshop, I certainly appreciate a fully painted and decked out army! The trays just round out what is already a really impressive looking force. I did get a good chuckle from the Viking outfits too. I'm sure sexy Viking is sure to be the next big costume for next year! I don't know how you managed to avoid painting for a year but kudos to you. That can only mean that 2022 is the year you enter in the Golden Demon and pour your heart and soul into a single mini! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jeff. I did paint stuff obviously, just didn’t paint any miniatures. It came as a surprise to myself.
      You know me so well, because I’m totally gonna spend 12 hours on one miniature. The only thing that can stop me is the lack of time, lack of talent, and the knowledge that even if I tried the result would not be much better than if I spent 12 minutes on it. 😀

      Delete
  11. Such a splendid parade, gorgeous figures...and distraction images! Great painting and basing Stew!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil. Appreciate you saying so. 😀

      Delete
  12. Stew....not sure how I missed this almost a month ago.....?? :(

    I like ALL your Viking models, in both senses of the word! If you can get your wife into one if those outfits, you must be a very persuasive man!

    Number Three looks like he is solving one if the potential officer tests at the Regular Commissions Board (sorry I don't know the US equivalent) He may be destined for a military career!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! I wouldn't want to be in the Saxon line facing that lot.
    Happy new year to you Stew.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Whats the size of the bases and which rules would you use?

    ReplyDelete