Tuesday, February 9, 2021

For ACWrary; some ACW reinforcements

 

Hello All.  I'm excited to start celebrating ACWary and getting back to my semi regular schedule of posting again.  That's a Win-Win I'd say.  You did know that February is ACWary month right?  Of course you did.  

In this post I present to you some ACW reinforcements.

This was mainly a basing project, as these were miniatures that I paid to be painted a long time ago (as can be seen in This post a year Ago!).  So after a year of living on popsicle sticks in the dark of my hobby desk, I figure these guys are now properly aged and seasoned and ready to join the regular armies.  The fact that it took me a year to get these guys on bases makes no nevermind.  It's all about the long term planning see? yeah, that sounds good.  Much better than admitting that I just got distracted by other stuff.


Isn't cool that we all can instantly recognize General Amristead in this picture
just because of the hat on the sword? 
I should watch Gettysburg again the next time I have 4 hours to waste.
Probably in 5 years time...




Isn't the Basing Great?


First up we have here some Confederates.  30 bases worth (90 miniatures in 18mm), so a sizable addition to the CSA.  I didn't paint any of these, so just tell me how cool the basing is...




But really it's just a simple basing scheme and nothing to GENERAL LEE BRAGG about.  Get it?? General LEE??   Bragg??!!  **chuckle chuckle snort snort***    Ahhh, I enjoy word play.  


A Sample of 10.  The rest look very similar.



Seem, Told ya.


Here is Everybody



I always like pics from the behind the miniatures,
because when you are the controlling player,
this is the view that you see.


Wasn't that a fun bunch of Rebels? 



But Maybe I Can Say That I Painted These Guys?


Not to be outdone, here we have some USA reinforcements; also 30 bases worth (90 miniatures).



 However when I started in on the Union troops I realized that the guy who painted these for me neglected to paint the canteen straps white and forgot to paint the brass plate on the ammo pouch.  So I did 'em and hard work it was.  That's a lie of course because it was pretty easy; but it does mean that I *technically* painted them myself right?  That's the truth of it.


Sample of 10



Look-it the white straps!


In truth though it doesn't really matter to me if I have painted the miniatures or not; what matters is that they are now DONE!  Whenever I put on an ACW convention game someone always asked me if I had painted all the miniatures and I always answer grandly, "I painted AAALL of these miniatures except for the ones that I paid someone else to; but you can assume that mine are the better paint job."  Which is actually true except for the CSA that Dai painted and the Zouaves that I was gift from Jonathon.  Those are way better.  



All Together now!
"My eyes have seen the Glory of the..."


I haven't had time to do an actual count, but these additions probably put me dangerously close to completing my goal of having 200 bases of infantry per side.  If you count command stands and artillery then I've already broken 200 but that was not the goal.  When each side has 225 infantry bases and 25 artillery bases I will consider the collection complete.  

What about Cavalry?  Who cares about the Cavalry??!!  Cavalry is basically useless in ACW battles (which is just another reason why ACW beats NAPs;  you can ignore one whole aspect of the army).  Name one battle where Cavalry played a s significant role outside of Buford's Cav at Gettysburg?   

Ya Can't! 

NO!  Those minor Cav on Cav battles don't count for nothing.  

NO!  You can't count Mounted Infantry neither; Mounted Infantry and Cavalry aren't the same thing.

So Cavalry can go suck on a pinecone.  Who wants to paint two versions of the same unit anyway (one mounted and one dismounted).  Not this guy!  If you want to play Cavalry you should head over to Napoleonic games where cavalry have real confusing names like 'cuirassiers,' and 'hussars,' and 'chasseurs.'  Whatever those are supposed to be.  

To make up for my meanness; here is a meme of Jeb Stuart.  One of the best cavalry commanders in the ACW (but maybe not THE best) and likely the most famous.


There.
Now we're friends again.


Public Service Announcement


Men!  Valentines day is fast approaching!  DO NOT FORGET!  

Since Valentines day is in the month of ACWary; why not get her some deliciously ACW themed sentiments.  She'll love it!***


For those righteous women who were for the Union



For those with a more southern sympathy

***Do not do this. She will NOT love it.  


Wrapping up


I hope you'll will be having a happy ACWrary,  I'm really hoping to squeeze in another ACW post before the month is out.  Till then, thanks for reading along.  You are appreciated.  

-Stew



28 comments:

  1. Stew, that is a nice boost to your armies (especially the ones you painted :-) ), which from memory were quite substantial anyway (?).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why thank you Norm, I did do a nice job didn’t I? Lol
      I would say that my ACW armies are about 95% complete since I can do almost any scenario that I would like to. 😀

      Delete
  2. Wow! Now those are some great canteen straps and brass plates: they really bring the figures together (like the Dude's rug in the Big Lebowski). I'll have to acratch in ACWray on my calendar: who knew?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ed, don’t they ever? I like a nice white canteen strap... 😀
      I think ACWrary is a fairly new concept; breed out of jealousy over Zombietober.

      Delete
  3. Such well painted canteen straps! I have not had people paint miniatures for me, but that is because I am dumb (and cheap), and if you want to have 200 bases, then it makes perfect sense!

    What does each of these bases typically represent anyway... Company? Battalion? Regiment?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks ever so much Laz. It was a LOT of work to paint 90 white lines...lol. I wish I could afford to pay others to paint my miniatures more often. It’s so much more efficient that way.
      At 200 bases each in able to play almost any ACW scenario I care too, which to me means the collection is complete.

      It all depends on the rules of course; but typically I play Regimental Fire and Fury where each base represents 40 men and bases are grouped into regiments of anywhere from 5 - 18 stands. 10 would be an average strength regiment of 400 men. 😀

      Delete
  4. You are a comedian and a General Lee Punny guy. Great to see you are making your goal. I like the basing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much JF. The hardest part of this project was actually snipping the figures off the popsicles sticks. Some just didn’t want to let go.
      Glad you found the post humorous as I was intending it to be. It has such little actual wargaming content that I have to make up for it somehow. 😀

      Delete
  5. Great post Stew figures look great and way better to have them ready for battle. Not sure I’m going to test the valentines suggestion though !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt. That’s probably a wise move on your part. 😀

      Delete
  6. Kind of a relief to see some output. At least you've stopped Stonewalling us ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Canteen straps and basing, great! Nice pair of mobs for the first American civil war!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice to see even more additions to this project! The white straps are really what make those Yanks for sure. *eyeroll*

    It's as you say - Cavalry in ACW really wasn't all that amazing or used in actual battles. They were mainly scouting about for enemy movement or off trying to disrupt supply lines. Regimental level stuff. BUT, I'd guess at a skirmish level of gaming, would make for some fun opportunities perhaps?

    Funny posts are the best, especially the ones packed full of Dad jokes.

    (PS - I still owe you some Zouaves myself... A promised bday present from only 3 or 4 years ago. I suck mightily as a mate >_<)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Umm... is supposed to say NOT regimental stuff. (Joys of trying to type this out at work, swiftly and before my lead workers can notice I'm on the internet. Yay Government work.)

      Delete
    2. Thanks Dai. But don’t forget about the brass on the ammo sacks as well. 😀

      Yah, since my stuff is set up for regiments I don’t have much use for cav. I’m sure some people have a use for it though. And glad you enjoyed the dad jokes. These days those are all the jokes I got. 😀

      And don’t worry about the Zouves; I was supposed to be making you a wargame mat for your bday....

      Delete
  9. Great stuff Stew! Civil War Valentine's Day memes... there's something that I never thought I'd see 🤣 You've got quite the army going for both sides to be sure, can't wait to see them all together on the table. I'm finally doing a bit of ACW myself though at a bigger scale and a smaller unit size, I'd never be able to keep up with what you're doing at 28mm - and I'm playing Sharp Practice so you'll be horrified to know that I'm actually looking forward to painting up Mosby's Rangers for some cavalry fun lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a bunch Ivor. SP2 would be a good scale to include cav.
      I was surprised to find the ACW memes for Valentine’s Day but once I did... I knew I had to use them. Must be shared with the world!!

      Good luck with your ACW project. It will be the greatest project you ever do! I don’t have ACW in 28mm but might consider it when/if Muskets and Tomahawks 2 come out with an ACW supplement. 😀

      Delete
  10. You've certainly mustered plenty of troops there! They all look great together and should make for some visually appealing battles. While I know little about the Civil War as it isn't one of my historical areas of interest, I did get and enjoy the memes throughout. I knew who most of the people in them were which surprised me a bit. I might just try that Grant one out as a V-Day gift this year against your recommendation since my fiancée and I can't really safely go out, the stakes feel a lot lower this year :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kuribo! To be fair, I wouldn’t of recognized Ewell. I’ll give a hundred dollars if you do use one of these ACW memes for Valentine’s Day. It’ll help cover the costs when she kicks you out. 😀

      Delete
  11. Those canteen stripes really make the figures "pop" Stew! Thanks for the last minute warning about Valentines Day NOT being an appropriate time to bring up the Civil War...or wars and gaming in general I guess.? As my wife's birthday is 8 Dec I think she is fed up of me telling all and sundry that I remember it because it is tha day after Pearl Harbour......plus our wedding anniversary is 5 Nov..... Guy Fawkws Night for all you benighted heathens who don't know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ross, they do don’t they?!!! Easiest paint job ever.
      I proposed to my wife on December 7th. I’m not saying that I planned it that way but it is convenient to remember. And despite being an ignorant American I would of recognized Guy Fawks day. 😀
      I’m enjoying our give and take / mutual support of each other’s blogs.

      Delete
  12. Rather late to the party but, through my Looking Glass, I'm bringing along the Brandy. Just meet me at the Station. Wait, did I just bring some rain to the event? Brandy Station was the largest cavalry battle of the American Civil War, only about 20,000 cavalry involved. But, hey, Mac, what happened on the hill called Fleetwood? *chuckling down a snort*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well done sir. And it’s always nice to hear from you. 😀

      Delete