Sunday, September 8, 2019

Belated Blog Birthday



now where was I?  Oh yes, writing a wargame blog...

Two Years of A Terrible Loss


While I was away attending to family stuff and doing precious little hobbyness, the blog turned two years old.  Just goes to show that no matter what you are doing, time still passes. 





See?  There it went again.



Let's Talk A Little About Blogging

Traditionally, on the blog birthday I've written mostly about the experience of blogging.  This has an ancient history of going ALL the way back to   1 year ago, so it's too late to change it now.  I'm committed.  Also writing about blogging in general is also in the hopes that it will be entertaining, because its a different topic than the standard blog topics of "I painted this.." or "I played that.."     especially since I haven't done neither painting or playing in awhile. 


I've found that my time spent blogging has dropped.  Some of that is due to being busy with the Real Life (as boring as it is) and some of it is my interest has decreased.  Over the 2 years I've started following many, many blogs  but truth be told; it's just kinda hard to keep up with them all.  Most of the time now I'll look at my blog list and read the title and if it catches my interest then I'll read on, otherwise I'll ignore it.  I'm still glad that I followed their blog in the first place, I just won't read every post.  Of course there are some blogs that I read every post no matter what, mainly because I like the person writing the blog, or we have one of those symbiotic relationships where we are always commenting and reading each other's blogs.  I should get more of those.  It's a BBB...
Blogging Best Buddies.

Anyway. When I read anything, I'm still likely to leave a comment though unless they're someone I know who doesn't respond to comments,  then I usually won't bother. 

-side bar:  responding to comments:

There are many acceptable ways but the most general ones are to write a reply to each comment which takes awhile, or write a general reply to all the comments (like "thanks everyone!") at the end of all the comments, or SOMETHING.  In general I just like an interaction.  It doesn't even have to be every time, just sometimes. 

but back to the topic:


Comments are still my favorite thing about blogging.  It's the interaction that makes blogging a social experience and a post worth posting, otherwise one might as well write their blog articles in a secret journal which is kept under the bed with other writings of super secret private thoughts, never to see the light of day.  Like when I was in high school and had a secrete notebook called "Stew loves Jennifer" and was full of my seductive love moves that one day I was gonna try out for reals...

She never knew what she was missing..




2 Years is Not Really a Long Time, Or is It?  


2 years into this blogging business and some of the novelty has definitely worn off, which I think has lead to a decrease in actual posts.  Of course, some of that decrease is also due to the real fact that  I'm having a pretty lousy year with regards to hobbyness; with hobby and play time taking a back seat to real life concerns for long periods at a time.  But Ive already moaned about that enough.  I guess on the bright side,  it makes one feel very Adult.  I'm adulting all over the place and getting stuff done like crazy.  Yet, I never seem to find enough time to mow the lawn...

Not really my lawn but a very close approximation



But at this two year mark into this blogging madness; I'll also take the opportunity now to say Thank You to everyone who comes by to read this amateur production.  And a Super Thank You (which is more powerful than a regular thank you, able to leap tall buildings..) to everyone that leaves a comment at the end, even once in awhile.  It's all very gratifying.


Nothing says Thank You like the Buddy Christ.

And I see the blog has reached a whooping 50 followers in the last 2 years, which is about 43 and a half more than I thought it would ever have when I installed the 'follower' plug in.   That includes the people I paid to follow me and the family members that follow out of familial obligation.
That's an obvious fib, I've told no family about the blog.

AND!  Just in case all the above sounded too negative;  Overall I still enjoy blogging and have found it to be a great way to make a few new friends and have an online community.  I find other people's blogs to be a wealth of humor, ingenuity, hobby gems, and a great way to relax for a few minutes during these busy times. 

My biggest hope for my own blog is that it will prove to be the same for someone else.


But How About Some Wargame Stuff After all


I'm hoping to squeeeeeeze in some more games before the year is out.  Traditionally the last quarter of the year is hard for me to get in much gaming mainly due to the wife working on weekends leaving me in charge of The Terror and The Destructor (also known as Daughter #1 and Son #2, ages 6 and 1.5).


But, I've managed to move a small mountain and cleared the schedule in order to game on  9/14.  It's my annual appearance at the SHMWClub.  I swear I make it to a club meeting about half as much as I make it to the gym. 


I know my troops will be in the CSA Corps under Hood.
Looks like an easy victory.
I'm excited because it's an ACW game ( I LOOOOVE me the ACW) and using the Brigade Fire and Fury rules which I own but have not played.  Game is set during the Battle of Chickamauga.  Should be fun.  "Chickamauga" after all was translated to mean "River of Blood."
Seems that most Native American words translated to something terrible during the ACW.


WIP shots, not all Orcs are pictured, because pics of
black primed Orcs are booooring.

I was able to  return to the paint desk late in August, and right now I'm grinding my way through 30-freaking-6 (that's 36) figures of Morannon Orcs for the LOTR games (I LOOOOVE me some LOTR).  These are the stronger, better armored orcs that assaulted Minas Tirith as opposed to the normal strength, normal armored orcs who also likely assaulted Minas Tirith. 

These miniatures make up the core evil force in several of the Gondor at War scenarios, so getting them done will be a big step toward more cool LOTR games, taking me closer to being the LOTR magnate that I aspire to be.

Wrapping Up


With life returning more to normal the blog posts should increase.  I thank everyone for their support and well wishes.  Lets all have a great last quarter of the year!  Thanks for reading. 

33 comments:

  1. Its nice to see another update from you and I couldn't agree more with the interaction. Before I made my site, I had and still do have a WIP thread on Cool Mini Or Not. I've learned a lot from there painting wise but more and more, I find the personalized interaction on my site and even on the One Ring to be more satisfying and personal as we share an interest LOTR. The hobby friends I've made online keep me motivated and I enjoy interacting more with online friends than people in the local community I've spoken to because they're into tournaments more for example. So I really appreciate all of your comments and always look forward to seeing what you're working on.

    Speaking of that, those orcs are coming along well! It will take a while to grind through them but I bet once they're done, it will open up a number of new scenarios you can play in the future. I look forward to seeing how they turn out and what comes next for you hobby wise too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kuribo. As a more recent addition to my circle of online friends, I’m very glad to be supporting one another in our hobby activities. I enjoy reading all your posts and comments. ๐Ÿ˜€

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on reaching Year 2 mostly intact!

    You make a number of sound observations about the challenges and rewards of blogging. For me, your sense of humor keeps me coming back for more. No need for gaming content to attract and hold my attention. When I see a new post from you in my Reading List, neither your thumbnail sketch of your first content photo or post title govern whether I will choose to read your latest. I ALWAYS dive in. I find every post entertaining and will always jump at your latest if only to discover what is new in your world.

    Commenting is a fine method in building a sense of community and camaraderie. As you have thanked your readers for their support, I thank you for your support and encouragement too. Keep at it even when Real Life interferes and publication slows.

    How is that for a little encouragement?

    Take care, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jonathan, you are the best.
      I’m glad my lame attempts at humor help make the blog easier to read. I appreciate your support and you are one of my blogging mentors. I very much aspire that my blog will one day be as popular as yours. ๐Ÿ˜€

      Delete
  3. Congratulations on reaching 2 years. You are right that there is so much blog content about these days, but I think that just reflects the richness and vibrancy of the hobby, it's almost like getting a free wargame magazine every evening.

    Bloggers have probably always felt that keeping a blog going is an effort, though one they generally enjoy, while bemoaning that a readership generally gives little thought to comment, yet ironically, with so much content, the readership itself, as you point out is under pressure with time, to get through or service so much content and if everyone who could, did, comment on one's blog, one would be swamped and possibly overwhelmed with the need to reply.
    These days, I am much more relaxed about whether a comment is made or not, the courtesy question aside, I enjoy the writing and I know stuff gets read. I could write (and have) for magazines, a satisfaction that at least the reader has paid 'the entry fee' and the magazine will send you a few quid, but they are so 'here today, gone tomorrow', while a blog can build up wealth of always available material and a niche following that actually likes your stuff has ready and convenient access to that.

    I run a wargame web page which costs me £50 a year, it has just come up for renewal and I thought quite long and hard about that, a sort of 'who cares' and should I just buy a wargame instead? these things can only ever be answered by the blogger and are usually determined by the 'need' to write. We can always dip in and out as the fancy takes us to make sure that our hobby stays a pleasure.

    Hobbies are like all other aspects in life when opportunity, enthusiasm and commitment waver, but usually do so within fairly constrained bounds.

    In truth, we would probably all be a bit better off in other respects if we tried to limit our screen time, a behaviour that is increasing transforming our lives. I was on the train recently and EVERY head was down, with their noses into a phone device. We are probably building a time bomb for neck and index finger physio problems for a couple of decades down the road.

    Enjoy your big ACW Chickamauga game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Norm. Once again your comments and observations are more than excellent. You’re totally correct about screen time and the time it would take in order to effectively interact with all of the internet that deserves it. Maybe the best one can do is carve out a small to medium circle of good folks like you to interact with regularly. I really appreciate the feedback and support from a seasoned veteran like yourself. ๐Ÿ˜€

      Delete
  4. Happy 2nd blogiversary! :)

    I'm often rather bad about not commenting on posts I've read on other people's blogs. I have no idea why that is. I am much better at replying to comments on my own blog posts, and give individual replies as part of a single reply comment.

    Keep on blogging and I look forward to wishing you a "happy 3rd blogiversary" :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tas, I appreciate you stopping by and leaving a comment this time and whenever you might in the future. ๐Ÿ˜€

      Delete
  5. Congratulations!

    Some really interesting thoughts on blogging and gaming in general...we are of like mind I think?

    :O)

    Crack on with the good work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jim. Perhaps we are?๐Ÿ˜€
      You keep cracking on as well.

      Delete
  6. Happy Blog-birthday. I for one have found your blog a welcome addition and like Jonathan will pop on over when I see a new post. Of course, life intrudes on art and impacts hobby and blogging activity. Aside from that (or in the wake of life events), you could be shifting into a different pace now that you've passed the "early years" of your blog (I've found that to be the case with my own blogging). The bottom line is that I figure that there are plenty of sources of anxiety and stress in the world, so I try to not make my blogging part of that list. It's still effort, but blog posting, underneath it all, provides a unique avenue for a bit of self-indulgent fun, often shared among a circle of like minded self indulgers (aka, the "usual suspects" who visit each others blogs).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ed, you put it very nicely and I appreciate your comments and reading the blog. I like being one of your own usual suspects. These early years have been a great experience. ๐Ÿ˜€

      Delete
  7. Happy B-Day. As someone who luvs, luvs, luvs the ACW, here's a provocative qustion; what scale is best? I'd lean towards the little guys for big-battle stuff, but am open to suggestions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For me, 10mm is perfect for ACW although we have collections and game in 15mm and 25mm too.

      Delete
    2. Any scale really. I prefer 15mm for all sorts of reasons. ๐Ÿ˜€

      Delete
  8. Happy Blogiversary/Blog Birthday! So pleased that I discovered your blog, and that you have been doing it even as irregularly as you have been this year. I love to read your posts, and sometimes will save doing so until I have some time to properly savor it... I know you are likely to have a long post, so I should "put a pot on" before hand.

    Blogging is a funny business, given that you have to generate content about something you like (yay miniatures/games/painting etc) but have to take time away from that to generate the content (or more likely at... er... break time at work). My own infrequent posting shows how that works out when there is little to talk about because of real life getting in the way.

    ACW gaming this weekend and working on Orcs all sounds pretty great to me! Hope the game goes well, and that you win! Unless you are playing rebs of course. Then, please lose well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Las,
      I’m pleased to be a follower of your blog as well and that we’re together on this online circle. We still should meet up one day as we’re in the same area. ๐Ÿ˜€
      I do the same t with Norm’s posts.

      Delete
    2. LGP is a jolly nice bloke Stew and I think you two would get on very well in real life. Heck LGP, Stew is the chap who showed/taught me Chain of Command!

      Delete
  9. As always an interesting post,I set out to post as a catalogue of what I have done, instead I am now part of an online community which I really enjoy, visiting and having visitors! I have to admit that if I leave comments and never get a reply I'll probably drift away. Your ACW game sounds good and like Ed I think there is enough to worry about without getting hung up on anything to do with my hobby!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain and well said. I do feel pressure to post something if it’s been awhile, mainly bc I want the blog to be active but I wouldn’t go as far to that I stress over it. I like doing this hobby so I know when real life gets in the way that I’ll eventually return to painting or playing which always provides blog content eventually. ๐Ÿ˜€

      Delete
  10. Congratulations on your second year of blogging Stew! Life always butts in on our hobbies but we always bounce back ๐Ÿ˜€

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mike. We certainly do, because what else is there? ๐Ÿ˜€

      Delete
  11. Great to see you back Stew! I really like your sense of humor, I think we're a lot alike actually! And I'm right there with you regarding the blogging, but it is that interaction with other people that does make it rewarding - and just like you I can't believe that I actually have people that follow my blog... madness ๐Ÿคฃ
    Love the Orcs, I actually primed some Warg riders over the weekend myself ๐Ÿ™‚

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ivor and I appreciate the compliment of being alike to you. ๐Ÿ˜€
      You do a better job at welcoming new followers that I think increases the interaction.

      Delete
  12. Well done on the anniversary Stew. The blog is followed by so many mate because, in my opinion, it is witty, amusing and ticks all the boxes for lovely pictures and an entertaining read. I absolutely hear you about loving comments from followers as that is all the incentive I need to keep on putting up a few photos here and there to keep the projects rolling and the home fires burning. Hers to many more birthdays!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carlo, you make me blush. ๐Ÿ˜€
      I appreciate all your positive comments and camaraderie.

      Delete
  13. Congrats on reaching year two. I've also found real life impacting on my blogging experience, less time to read and post. Like you I'll tend to only read posts that directly relate to my areas of interest, rather than everything a blogger I follow posts. Fortunately the Hobby and Gaming side hasn't suffered as much with gaming still a regular occurrence.
    Enjoy the ACW game, Chickamauga is a battle I must game at some time.

    All the best from Blighty, keep on blogging.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tony. You got it better than me if you’re gaming opportunities haven’t decreased as well. ๐Ÿ˜€
      But yes, there are blogs that always tend to read no matter what but many have become only when relevant to my interests. Problem is I’m usually interested in all sorts of stuff...

      Delete
  14. Nicely done mate for keeping this going with all the trials and tribulations that life has thrown up at you of late.

    This little community of ours is special, though I fear the lure of ease-of-use where the likes of Facebook and Instagram type apps are concerned has taken a lot of traffic from blogging in general. A lot of the blogs I follow just don't update as often as they used to, regular commentors now absent... Kind of takes the fun out of blogging when your targeted readership starts to disappear.
    But it still provides a nice venue for me to show off and catalogue my work and projects and I love the feedback I get from my regulars like your good self. Just wish I could get enthused about hobby in general... not playing games or more often, not having time for them in general kind of takes away from the general feel for a "need" to have to at all. But perhaps that's just something I need to work on more and make more time for?

    Damn I can ramble.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dai. I have you to thank for turning me on to this whole blogging endeavor. ๐Ÿ˜€
      I have often said that I have an abundance of everything, except time. I do want to update this blog semi regularly in order to keep up the presence and get those sweet sweet interactions that we like, but struggle with having stuff to post about. What do you do with a wargame blog when is not doing a lot of war gaming? I’m still figuring it out.

      Delete
  15. Happy blog birthday Stew. Time certainly goes very quickly and it goes faster as you get older.
    Super Thanks,
    Pat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The days go by like years, the years go by like days.

      Delete