Thursday, October 4, 2018

Dry dock repairs complete! Adventures in ship repairs.



slight delay in posting fun hobby stuff as I've had absolutely nill time for hobbies due to family crisises...crisisi?  whatever the plural form of crisis is.... but onward and upward!

That took awhile.

As discussed earlier; during my journeys over Labor day weekend to Pacificon and back my sailing fleet was damaged by a near car accident and an attack from a ferocious house cat.  At the end of the weekend they looked like this:

Ouch!


On a closer inspection; 1 of the ships got off pretty light but the rest had some moderate to significant damage.  I also learned, for the second time, that when you start pulling off damaged rigging this often leads to needing to pull out another thread of rigging..
and another
and another
and another.

This is because a lot of the threads are glued in the same places.

So in addition to repairing masts and sails, I had to do much more re-rigging than I initially thought.
For some of these ships it's the third time I had to do this, and to be quite honest it's not as much fun the third time around.


But never mind all that, because I persevered and began to enjoy the process of rigging once more as each ship started to look ship shape again.  These ships continue to be some of my favorite models even if they are delicate little flowers.


Ze French fleet iz readz for battle onze more

We look good again!






Da British are also ready for a-battle


This is one of my favorite ships, just came out looking good.

Though I should break my ships more often...

Because it seems like whenever I do someone nice sends me a package in the mail.  In this case, Mr. PC who is my friend and the owner of the ship chewing cat; told me that he sent me a little something in the mail and to let me know if it arrived.  Because he was (I'm assuming) wracked with guilt.  Even though I told him it wasn't a big deal and the ships were already damaged anyway.



Anyway, his little something turned out to be a small lead lead pile of it's own from Waterloo Minis; consisting of no less than:
The famous HMS Victory (at quarters)
a 74 gun ship (at quarters)
The also famous USS Constitution
The not as famous USS Congress
and some sea bases and assorted ratlines. 


Quite, the gift.  Once again Mr. PC, you are too generous. 




(Wasn't I just bragging about how small my AoS leadpile was?  LOL)



The search for Better Storage Solutions

Each ship is based on a magnet.  I think the magnet is sufficiently strong to hold the ships in place.


see here; Ships on the fridge..


I was tempted to open the fridge door and test just how strong the magnet was...
but I resisted.


So I think my problem is that in their little storage box, I don't have enough metal for the magnet to really grip.  So it's off to either find an all metal storage box, some sort of metal sheet, or maybe some metal paper or some such.  I've searched before for a metal sheet that I could cut but could not find one at all the craft and DIY stores, so I don't think that's a good option right now.  I'll probably end up going the easy route and ordering a sheet of metal paper from Litko because it'll ship to me and I won't have to spend time wandering around stores because I seem to be very low on free time these days.


Hopefully I'll get back to more regular posting again soon.  I start to feel a little ashamed when other blogs that I enjoy following post 2 or 3 times in-between my posts.  I know we all must go at our own pace and sometimes life interferes with hobby time, and time one can spend sitting in front of the computer writing pithy captions under photos of toy ships sticking to the fridge. 

I did however have time for a marathon session of boardgaming madness...

That's right: Disney Princess Candy Land with Daughter #1. 
Played 10 games in a row.
EPIC.


 Thanks for reading! 

28 comments:

  1. Your repair work shows the ships no worse for the wear. I admire your handiwork with rigging these small vessels. Nice peace offering from your friend. Good show!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a completely unexpected and unnecessary peace offering, but I’ll keep it all the same. 😀

      Delete
  2. Your rigging is lovely, keep at it, the world needs artists like you. Don't stint on the games with your daughter, my three are all adults now and don't care to play games as much as they used to. Regarding storage/transport; have you tried gluing Plastruct I-Beams to a sheet of plasticard just far enough apart to allow the bases to slide in the beam channel yet be locked in place against shifting? I have seen that work for others in the past.

    BTW I always read your blog, others seem to post just to post; quality matters more than volume

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anton, I appreciate your comments and you reading my blog as I’m a big fan of yours. Though in this case you’re to liberal with the terms ‘artist’ and ‘quality ‘ as neither really apply to me. 😀
      Interesting idea with the I beams; if the metal doesn’t work I’ll look into it.

      Delete
  3. Good repair work on the ships. They look great again! Perhaps keep an eye out for a suitable metal biscuit tin around Christmas time in the sales.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Simon, and that’s a really good idea. 😀. I’ll keep an eye out.

      Delete
  4. Wow, they look superb, great repair work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A lovely bit of repair work, neatly done! They're very nice ships and the more I see them the more I'm tempted but I shall remain resolute,I really like the picture of the ships sn the fridge and your still getting more games in than I am!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But for how long can you resist the tempting temptation? 😀
      Thanks Iain, I might be getting in more games but it can be hard to look invested on who gets to the magic castle first or who plays Ariel.

      Delete
  6. Excellent work on the recovery the ships look fantastic. Don’t store them on the fridge though as that is asking for disaster 😱

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol of course not, though it would make for a place somewhat safe from the hands and feet of little children. Thanks for comment Matt. 😀

      Delete
  7. I look forward to the reports from your game play through. ;)

    And if you want easy to cut metal, just buy flashing from Home Depot, and use old scissors/tin snips.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Candyland is probably not as exciting as you remember it was. 😀
      Flashing you say? Never heard of the thing till now. I’ll check it out; might be you gave me the solution.

      Delete
  8. I have an admiration of the skill and effort that goes into correct rigging, sometimes things are just simply nice to own for their own sake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel very similarly about the ships. They’ve become some of my favorite models.

      Delete
  9. I dunno mate, I think you've already found the solution to this conundrum, just stick a metal fridge in the back of your motor and your ships will never budge again!

    Hope that 3rd time is the charm for these pretties. That rigging is lovely, but it must be an absolute pigs ear to get right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe like a beer fridge?! 😀. Could work.
      Thanks Dai. The rigging is not especially hard but does take a lot of time.

      Delete
  10. Very nice resurrection work Stew and a great gift from a good guy. Great to see. As for the fridge magnets, well it looked like a scene from one of the Pirates of the Caribbean movies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carlo. Mr PC is a good guy and has been my friend for many years. I am looking forward now to starting something new and not recovering ground. 😀

      Delete
  11. That is what I call a fridge magnet. They certainly looked like they had been in a storm but your repair work has brought them back to their former glory. The rigging really makes a difference and finishes them off superbly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pat! I appreciate it. I also think the rigging makes the model pop and does a decent job of prettying up my average paint jobs. 😀

      Delete
  12. Great repair work. I find broken minis so dispiriting that it takes me a while to summon the will to make the repairs, if at all. The sight of all that fiddly rigging to fix would have been the end of me, but your efforts are well rewarded.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks TP, I appreciate the comment. I also find broken miniatures to be something of a chore and this did take me awhile to complete but I was also interrupted a ton. I’ve also found that if I don’t do repairs soon then the repairs tend to never get done, and what was I gonna do with a broken fleet? No choice really. 😀
      Big fan of your blog.

      Delete
  13. That was some nice repair work my friend! I don't think I could have done any better, and especially not after two times in the drydock.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brian, I appreciate it. 2 times is plenty. 😀

      Delete
  14. Excellent repair work - I've had to do the same on my Langtons also. Great blog by the way
    Miles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I’m a big fan of your blog as well. 😀

      Delete