Tuesday, April 23, 2024

Intergalactic Convention Report

 It's called intergalactic but it's held here on earth, just like the Ms. Universe contest.


Working for the Weekend


The Intergalactic convention recently took place; this is a small local convention in Sacramento Ca.  I like to throw my support (whether they want it or not) at these local conventions because I like having conventions that I don't have to travel far to get to or stay in a hotel.  
So I signed myself up to run 4 games over the weekend, basically in each of the major time blocks; one on Friday night, 2 on Saturday, and one Sunday morning.  It's kinda like community service except that I don't have to wear an orange vest.  While the con had a Sci-fy theme, any game genre was welcome.


Friday is Lord of the Rings

Friday night I brought my Lord of the Rings set up for a skirmish set in Osgiliath.  



Pics of the set up.
Needs more rubble piles.


The rules were Fistful of Lead: Might and Melee.  Which is basically a dark ages / medieval skirmish game so the only thing that makes this fanatasy is the setting; crazy stone buildings and one side being orcs.  
I explained the scenario as "Sauron turned his burning eye to his orcs and said something like "Hey my dudes.  I think I dropped like a necklace or something back in Osgiliath like a thousand years ago.  Kinda been on my mind lately, kinda want it back.  Go there and look for it will ya?  Great.  Super, you're the best. But go NOW."  

There are 3 ruined buildings that cross the center line of the board.  Each has to be searched for the missing trinket.  To count as searched the Orcs have to pass two normal task rolls within them.  Orcs cannot search if there is a unegaged enemy in the same ruins.   When a building is searched nothing is found.  The orcs win if they can search all 3 buildings, as they can report back that the search was complete.  The Good side only had to stop this.  To balance things out a little, the orcs had more orcs than men had men.  

To aid in game play, I once again made sure that every character had it's own Pokémon card.

Boromir's Pokémon, I mean CHARACTER card.
Everything the player needs to know in one spot.


I brought enough warbands for 6 players, had 3 sitting around when the game began, so played myself to make it even.  I love it when that happens.


if you look closely, you might spot where one the ruins got damaged on the ride over,
and I forgot to bring any glue.


Random game pic
I also labelled each of the miniatures for easy recognition.



Another random game pic


In the beginning, the orc players were really invested in ling up shots with the archers, while I kept saying that archery wasn't that reliable in this game.  First two orcs shots resulted in 2 dead men.  They never believed a word I said after.

Players seemed to have fun, I was having fun.  Game started at 5 and wrapped up at 9 PM.

Let's take a look at the other miniatures games going on Friday night:

don't see any?
That's because mine was the only one.



Saturday is Kidding Around

As mentioned previously on this blog; The Intergalactic Convention mentioned having a 'Young gamers' program and since I have young gamers I volunteered to run two games for the program on Saturday.  Later on it turns out I was the entirety of the 'kid friendly' games available.  In the morning there was the Wooden Wars game and in the afternoon I was hosting some kid friendly board games.

Let's take a look at ALL the children that came.

Just one, and I brought him.
My Son#2 (age 6).
Just proves the adage that wargamers are grumpy old men who can't be bothered with kids.  
And one day, I will be one of them.
Daughter#1 (age 10) was supposed to come, but she was invited to a birthday party that same day that was gonna have go kart racing.  She had enough good manners to at least sound conflicted when she said she'd rather go to that.  


Wooden wars set up


Portion of the French line


I have mixed emotions about this.  One the one hand I was fairly disappointed to have put all this effort into Wooden Wars and have no one show up.  I felt bad for my son too, as he didn't really get a great 'convention experience of playing with a bunch of people some cool games' but more just 'playing games with his dad' which he does at home.  On the other hand, I'm fully aware that this game is a nitch, buried in another nitch, covered by a nitch coating so wouldn't be a big draw, especially for an already small convention.  So on one foot I would NOT go through all this effort to put on such a game again, but on the other foot; I already have it, so it would be easy to do again.  
I'm sure that if I brought this to a bigger convention that probably already had a bunch of kids going, it would of been more successful.  

I will say though that everyone was nice to Son#2, and he did get a kick out of walking around and seeing the game tables.  And people let him touch stuff.  

In the vender hall, I told him that he could pick out 'one small thing' thinking there wouldn't really that much to tempt him.  The folks working at the GEG space knew they're business.  "hey" she said, "check out these dice, they're made from the same material as bouncy balls, so they bounce really well."  
Sure enough they did. It was a set of D&D dice (d20, D3, D10, etc..)
He played with those things for the rest of the day. just trying to get certain numbers to happen. 




hey lookit,
I DID finish that English cavalry.





He was able to play Wooden Wars for close to two hours.  After that we drove to a nearby McDonalds for needed junk food.  Ate it next to the Bolt Action tournament.  

In the afternoon we played some boardgames.  He got through one game of Forbidden Island before basically getting over the whole experience (got mentally tired, but not sleepy).  I did have two grandparents show up for 'boardgames with kids', looking for suggestions on what they could play with they're grand kids.  So I got to sound like an expert as I made recommendations.  
We left for home around 4 PM.

At the end Son#2 said it was "a good time" and "could we do it again next weekend?" Which I took as encouragement for my Father of the Year award.  Though later on when I told him he couldn't play Legos or whatever he wanted to play because we all had to take his mom to urgent care because she felt really sick he yelled "So I WASTED MY WHOLE DAY?!!!"  

Me:  "........"


Anyway, let's take a look at the other miniature games going on Saturday:

Don't see any?

just kidding, that's my fault.  Actually, there was a decent number of miniature games going on, but I failed to take any pictures.  I had a hyper active 6 year old high on cookies with me. 

Nice guy Mr. GM ran a really great looking Rank and File game that I was envious of not being able to pay in.  And Mr GM shared some snacks with Son#2.  There were some nice space ship games and etc..
There was a Bolt Action tournament with some really nice tables that I was also envious of not playing in.  There were 6 players and enough prize support for 10.  

Overall for Miniature games I would say there were scarce options, and I saw quite a number of cancellations as well.  The games I saw were good; just not a lot of them on offer or a lot of miniature players in attendance.  The good side of that is that none were overcrowded, and you could play in any game you wanted.  
The con was kinda spread out over the convention center, with activities in different rooms.  Which I like because it cuts down on noise and bumping butts, and I don't want to be mistaken for a roleplayer.  
Though when I did wander into the role playing and board game areas; those places were hopping busy.
There was a smile on everyone's face, except that one guy who just rolled a 1.


Sunday in Space

I returned on Sunday without the boy for some serious grown-up gaming.  Time for real Grown-up fun with little dolls.  I mean miniatures.  

My friend Mr. CG ran a game of Battle Tech Alpha Strike.
Stompy Robots do the stompy dance



My other friend Mr. DR ran a game of AT-43:



While I ran a game featuring the franchise BELOVED by millions, Star Trek.  
Using rules Starmada unity.





Serious Grown up wargaming.


All in all, it was a fun, laid back weekend.  The location was clean and nice, only about 40 mins from me.  I would definitely attend again and run some more games. 


Thanks for reading,
Double thanks for writing a comment.
Till next time.

36 comments:

  1. Well, since it was only 40 minutes, sounds like a good trip. Very disappointing to hear about the kid games and kid turnout. Always tough to put up a game and be under-subscribed (to use a term). That's surprising. In these parts, it is quite normal to have a slate of kid-centric games, and there are always plenty of youngsters (the recent Mayhem convention I just came back from being a good example). I think your wooden wars would be a hit at a regular miniatures convention, though (I believe I've seen the "big kids" playing the same at the big HMGS conventions).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ed. perhaps i was expecting too much from a small convention. The other larger conventions do have more kids in attendance, I just thought since there was a 'kid program' there might be more going on, but there were warning flags when I was the only feature.
      There is still the battle of the cubscouts in a few weeks for the Wooden Wars project, so maybe I'll get my kid fix and fill then. 😁

      Delete
  2. Stew,
    Sounds like it was a small (too small?) a convention? I suppose it could have been the other way and you could have been babysitting 100 kids!
    Couldn't see the broken ruins, no-one would notice...
    That last game was OK but it would have been better with Romulans....☺
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Neil.
      it is a small con, but that's why i try to do a lot in order to grow it, so that i'll benefit later.
      I might do Romulans one day, but I don't know anyone self-loathing enough to play them... 😁

      Delete
  3. Great to see all your hard work on display Stew. The Osgiliath game looks particularly striking, probably because I hadn't seen your figures and terrain before, and the Wooden Wars game looks fun. Glad your son enjoyed himself, even if it meant sacrificing playing with Lego for a day which, let's face it, he can do any other day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lawrence. Seriously, right??!! could do LEGOs any day, everyday. I more bugged that was his response and not "I hope mom will feel better." 😁
      I keep meaning to add to the LOTR stuff to make it extra special snazzy but like many projects, haven't gotten around to it.

      Delete
  4. I imagine most people try and line up childcare so they don't have younglings under foot. Kudos for bringing yours along. I have a friend in a small town that organizes pickup games at a library ever few months. I imagine you'd probably have more luck with a venue like that for recruiting some young wargames.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave. I know some cons offer an actual kid program / daycare thing and I imagine that would get more kids. Having mine around for the day wasn't terrible. But that's enough child outreach for one year for me. 😁

      Delete
  5. Good event Stew and good to see your buildings out again and the wooden soldier game looked superb …… except for the getting down on the floor bit🤪

    I would mark the event up as a success. I like community stuff anyway, but at the very least you got some quality lad and dad time and you just never know, you may have pressed someones button, even another parent, who’s child goes on to get hooked and then when they are older, they write books like Neil Thomas does ….. you just never know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Norm. maybe I over seasoned the post with satire, but I do think overall the con was a success, just not a huge success.
      The battle of the cubscouts is still coming up, and maybe that will give the Wooden Wars a proper outing. 😁

      Delete
  6. You piqued my interest when I read "Miss Universe"...is there such a thing in this modern world?

    That the Intergalactic convention was held in Sacremento goes to show that the world, no universe, DOES revolve around California!

    It's a shame your game didn't get more traction after all that work. If I can make a suggestion for next time, avoid the young gamers. Put the game on in the early evening and make beer available...you will be fighting off gamers wanting to play.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mark. of course there's such a thing as the Ms Universe contest. At least there was such a thing once, I haven't kept up on beauty pageants.
      that's a good idea Mark. Of course teh longer the game went on the harder some players might find it to get off the floor. especially if i add a rule about taking shots whenever the cannons fire...😁

      Delete
  7. As always Stew you made me chuckle throughout the report! I'm glad you enjoyed yourself and sounds like your son did too, but shame no one played the wooden soldiers game, which to me looked great fun. My knees might have not thanked me but I would have enjoyed it for sure:).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve. Some people came by and stated that the Wooden War set indeed looked like fun. maybe next time I'll see if I can get some big kids to play. Glad the post brought a small chuckle. 😁

      Delete
  8. Bit of a shame the low turnout, obviously, but as long as you had fun, it doesn't really matter. The LotR terrain looks really good. I think Mark has a good idea re the adult evening beer driven game!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kieth. I did have a fun weekend, and that is, indeed, what counts.
      though i do think that most miniature wargames are improved with alcohol. 😁

      Delete
    2. Almost every aspect of life (apart from driving, attempting to drive or being in charge of a motor vehicle on a highway or other public place) is improved by alcohol, in my experience, Stew!

      Delete
    3. Indeed, there are few exceptions. 😁

      Delete
  9. Couldn't see the damage in your LOTR game which looked good and sounded fun, pity about the wooden wars turnout, still at least you got to play with your son, star trek and sci fi games looked good, will now try and get rid of the beastie boys intergalactic song which I have bouncing around in my head for the whole of this post!
    Best Iain caveadsum1471

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain. seriously, right?!! that song gets in my head too. I tried to think of a way to include it somehow in the post but came up with nothing. I guess I let the beat.......mmm, drop? 😁

      Delete
  10. Hey Stew, glad it all worked out, although no other miniature games on Friday, and no other kids on Saturday is a pretty sad turn of events. Did Alpha strike look interesting? I seem to recall that P said he had the book, and I happen to have a bunch of mechs, terrain, and such...

    Hope your wife is ok!

    p.s. I noticed that your spending report on the right had "Quar" and "Quar tractors" on it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks David. and things are fine now.
      I didn't really check out Alpha strike, just sidled up to take the pic, but the guy who was running it is a friend of mine and that was all his stuff, so a game could be arranged. he lives about 15 mins from me. Yes, P does have the book. I'll see what I can do. 😁

      OH, you know the Quar do you? Excellent. fun miniatures, and the subject of the next post.



      Delete
  11. All your games looked great Stew! Pity about the turnout for Wooden Wars - the mat looks fine.
    Glad your wife is OK.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Ben. yeah, the mat looked aright despite all my bitching. Though next time I need to weigh down the ends or something to out it tight and try to smooth out some of the creases.

      Delete
  12. Impressive stuff, running all those games! What a shame about the wooden soldiers, they are really great and should have been a big hit! Even if no kids were there, I'd have hoped some grown-ups would have enjoyed them too! Does it somehow (wierdly) go to show that playing with toy soldiers is not cool among some gamers who play with, err, toy space monsters? hmm...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks David. I think on Saturday there were more than enough miniature games for the miniature players, so no one was tempted to play a game on the floor and against a 6-year-old. 😁

      Delete
  13. All of your games you laid on look excellent Stewart, and congrats on making a showing for the kid friendly game section, hopefully your wooden wars will get more notice at other conventions. Sounds like all had a good time and fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave. There’s still the Cubscout battle for Wooden Wars. I’m sure that if I dragged the wooden stuff to a larger convention there would be more kids. Though I’m not sure I’m going to bother if my own children aren’t going to be there. 😀

      Delete
  14. LotR games really aren't my thing, but I can't deny the Osgiliath game looks brilliant! Its great that the convention was kid friendly, and using your wooden figures was a fab idea. Hopefully the turnout will be better next time?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ray. The Lotr game played like a general dark age skirmish except that one side were ugly orcs.
      Hopefully the next scheduled outing for the wooden wars will be more successful. 😀

      Delete
  15. Sorry to say I've been disappointed gaming with kids at work (children's librarian), but glad to see someone else is making the effort, even if for little result. Our club got an email this week from a mother looking for wargaming for her teenage son, so we might have a new member soon...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenn. Children are a tough audience to get and keep. 😀

      Delete
  16. A nice mix of games, too bad about the no-shows for the children's event. Hopefully next year they realize how cool of a concept it was and more will come!

    ReplyDelete
  17. On the positive side, the LOTR terrain still looks fantastic and I'm glad people had fun playing it. It sounds like you got to enjoy some other games over the course of the weekend which is great.

    Hopefully the low turnout for Wooden Wars was a fluke and that you'll have better luck next time. I hadn't really thought about it, but when I go to Adepticon, I don't see many kids there (even high school aged kids) so I wonder if that will make it hard for you to attract an audience. I guess wargaming is No Country for Young Men, as it turns out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jeff. After the battle of the Cubscouts coming up I’ll have to have a hard think on what I’ll do with all the wooden wars stuff. I’m half minded to run games with it even if my kids aren’t going to in attendance but the other half is reluctant.
      😀

      Delete