Tuesday, January 9, 2024

Wooden Wars

 Alternative title: The Dad Dilemma

Alternative Alternative title: What to do with the damn kids?


I have 2 big projects that I want to tackle this year.  This is the first, and it involves the most fearsome beast known to mankind: CHILDREN.  
Turn back now if you are of faint of heart and nervous disposition.
disclaimer: there are no kids in this post, only snide comments about them


Child's Play


For reference, my remaining children are two boys ages 3 and 5, and a daughter age 10.
I'm lucky so far in that my children enjoy playing board games.  At this point I have more 'kid friendly / family' board games then I do grown up adult board games.  And I lean toward chucking the grown up board games because they never see action these days, or years. 

Of course, the board games are just the gateway to get them to eventually play miniature games.  This is a purely selfish desire;  I want guaranteed opponents in my old age for my vast miniatures collections that I'm going to have.  Get'em hooked while they are young; so much later in life  they don't have to say to each other "No, it's YOUR turn to play with dad, I did it last time."

I needed a miniature game that threads the needle for the 10 and 5 year old.  I've invited my 10 year girl to play a miniature wargame a few times as she's smart enough to get some games, but she's always declined stating that she "doesn't like toys with guns or weapons."  Pity, as most of my WARgaming miniatures have some sort of weapon.  Sometimes she wanders over to my hobby desk while I'm sitting there doing something from Lord knows where; I wasn't watching her, it wasn't my shift.  And then she's really interested in what I am doing, because it's bedtime.  She finds lots of things really interesting right before she should be going to bed.  


The game that I've settled on as my gateway drug is called Wooden Wars from Skull and Crown miniatures.





I saw this game being played at a convention a LOOOOOOOONG time ago, saw lots of kids and patents having a great time, so I'm glad that it's still around.  

The premise is simple and fun: armies are made of wooden flats and players shoot by tossing a rubber ball at them.  Solders that are knocked over are casualties.  It's a winning combination; miniatures for me, tossing stuff for the kids.  My kids love to toss stuff.  If there's a choice between placing something down and tossing it then tossing it wins every time with them.  


At the last convention that I attended, I sidled up next to Mr. TF who owns / runs / is Skull and Crown miniatures.  Reintroduced myself as we've met before but it has been a long while, and talked some shop.  Mr. TF is a very nice man with a winning smile and answered many of my stupid questions even after I placed an order.  

Before the year was over, I had a large box arrive: 

It was a very HEAVY Box.
Mr TF even threw in some extra goodies.
Because I am also a nice man with a winning smile
and we take care of our own.

 

My First Naps


The wooden soldiers are based on the Napoleonic wars which, my best blogging buddies will attest, I know nothing about.  Words like Hussar, Landwehr, Fusilier, and Cuirassier mean nothing to me, and could equally describe types of cheese or alien races in 40K because they sound like made up words.  

These being my first Naps, it only seemed right to start with the French.

The French soldier comes like this in bare form.
Includes an option for a fancy furry hat.



Needing to know what a Napoleonic French infantry uniform looked like, I took to the internet for a deep dive into Napoleonic uniforms.  Luckily for me, Napoleonic uniforms are fairly drab and consistent so little research was needed.  

We'll pause here for Naps players to recover their breath after hyperventilating, or to clean the screen perhaps after doing a spit take.

Actually, I just went to the Skull and Crown Blog and copied the pictures that I saw there.  

I'm also forgoing traditionally painting the flats with brushes; and am going for an easier option of using paint pens, so it's more like coloring in the spaces.  



After some experimentation I found that 'coloring' before assembling was easier
and looked better in the end..
After finalizing a color scheme I went into mass production. 


I feel some Pressure (like a drip, drip, drip, that'll never stop, whoa) as I would like to use these soon.  I think I ordered enough wooden troops for a game with 4-6 kids as I think this will be fun to play with my son's Cub Scout den.  Also; there's a convention in April that has a "young player" program and I think it'll be awesome to show off.  So April (really late March) is the DEADLINE.





One done.




After all the coloring.  Glue all the pieces together.
Here's the front and back of a French soldier.
I added the ruler to show that they're about 3.5 inches tall.



I decided to color the backs of the flats in a rudimentary fashion, as the bare wood looked odd.  It's a little extra time but with kids we all know that Time Spent  = Love.  I'm just getting lucky that the time sent is not actually with them.

Because I am a grown man in his late 40s, I'm a bit of an expert at coloring..  I cans stay in-between the lines and everything (mostly).  

This is from Peppa Pig
My youngest kids still like it.
Sometimes, I feel a lot like Daddy Pig.



As I said earlier, I feel the Pressure (that'll tip, tip, tip, 'til you just go pop, whoa-oh) to get this done quickly, but maybe I need not panic.  It's only been a week and I already have MANY done.

 
Looks Napoleonic to me,
because it looks like a high school marching band.
Which is what I secretly think to myself whenever I see a Naps Game.



Eisenhower said "Plans are useless, but planning is essential."  Right now I'm planning on making enough French and then enough British for a small 1vs1 game with my two oldest kids and seeing if they like it.  they BETTER!  Otherwise I'm gonna end up with a pile of painted miniatures that never see the game table.  What miniature wargamer has that??   Embarrassing.  

Thanks for reading.
Double thanks for writing a comment.
Till next time.

44 comments:

  1. Those are quite nice. I think your sons will enjoy them greatly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stew, they look very good coloured up - I’m sure the kids are going to love them. From memory, knocking soldiers over is in the tradition of H.G. Wells and all other young boys (me), so you are in good company. Good luck with getting the kids on-side, my two are middle aged and think what I do is strange. ๐Ÿ™‚

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Norm. You probably didn't start early enough with your kids and missed the window. ๐Ÿ˜

      Actually, the introduction to the Wooden Wars books states it's in the tradition of HG Wells.

      Delete
  3. Very nice result! You can always use these as kindling. Something you cannot do with lead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Jonathan. I suppose there is that. Though I bet these make harsh fumes. ๐Ÿ˜

      Delete
  4. Looks great! And supporting Skull and Crown is great too, since they are "local".

    And if you need any Napoleonic coloring advice I may have a book.. or two... or more.

    I hope your kids go for it, particularly your daughter... I am always trying to rope mine in, but only selecting a player character figure for D&D has really worked. Even dragons and ponys and stuff seem to fail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks David. I might need some advice when I get to some other stuff, though I am not tooooo concerned with being really accurate.
      My daughter actually saw me doing these and seemed curious. "that sounds like fun." We'll see though, she's temperamental. ๐Ÿ˜
      mayhap we can get out children to try t together? though mine are younger.

      Delete
  5. They turned out beautifully. What a great idea to get the kids involved. I never cease to be amazed at the total lack of interest on the part of all four of ours, (although sometimes wonder if it is better that way). It will be interesting to see if any of the forecasted wave of grandchildren show any interest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Lawrence. Maybe getting the kids involved will be a blessing and a curse. Probably. They're already the best/worst things. ๐Ÿ˜

      Delete
  6. The paint pens worked out well. The H.G.Wells approach to the games will be fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Peter. As long as we don't play near anything breakable it should be much fun. ๐Ÿ˜

      Delete
  7. Fantastic. Having raised three kids I've come to the conclusion that gamers like us are born and cannot be made. There is something in our DNA that just clicks when we see a table full of miniatures or start playing games. My eldest son has that DNA, but my youngest doesn't. I've tried to convince myself that my theory is false and invested in every gateway drug (ahem, game) I could think of but I've come to recognise that spark when I see it. Over the Christmas period I introduced my 8 year old nephew to Memoir 44. He's never played a board game like this before, or miniatures, but.....he has that spark. He couldn't play enough and his parents said he never normally sits for this long doing anything. It's the same Memoir 44 that I bought for my youngest, but we've only played it twice in all the years I've owned it. My nephew played it three times in two days. This looks like a great game for kids so young - easy to learn, fun to play. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks TP. I do understand what you mean. My 5 year old son is always asking to play a board game called King of Tokyo, one f those games that has enough going on but not so much he doesn't grasp it. so perhaps he does have that spark. I'll just try to fan it. ๐Ÿ˜
      My daughter likes to pay games but I'm starting to loose her to social media and online games like Roblox, so I better get going.

      Delete
  8. What a fun way to get the children interested, reminds me of the H.G,Wells ruleset for wargaming which had cannons that would fire matchsticks to knock over the opposing army. My youngest two have just started into the world of wargaming with Kill team, and through no encouragement from me, so that's 3 out 5 now ! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Dave. In the intro of the rules it states that it gets inspiration from HG Wells.
      3 out of 5 ain't bad. I'm hoping for at least 2 out of 3. ๐Ÿ˜

      Delete
  9. Good luck with your challenge Stew, the soldiers do look good painted /coloured in. Whether your kids love or hate them you’ll have some fun ๐Ÿ‘

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt. I'm fairly confident the boys will find it interesting. ๐Ÿ˜

      Delete
  10. Great post Stew and the figures look good too. The paint pen gives a great result and I assume much easier than a brush.
    Adding Nerf guns or similar to any game always seems to increase the interest of my children and grand children ๐Ÿ˜‚ Although getting them to shoot at the targets instead of each other is generally a problem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Ben. yes the paint pens are easy to use. Nerf guns make everything better. We've already done the thing where we build towers out of blocks and shoot nerf darts to knock it over, so this seems like the next logical step. ๐Ÿ˜

      Delete
  11. Very cool concept, reminds me of a game that I played when I was a kid with my dad, Weapons & Warriors, where you used cannons powered by rubber bands to knock over the opponents figures. So your kids should have a good time. Seems like you've also been watching some Encanto recently ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks SD. If nothing else, that would the be the kind of memory I'd like to create for my children as well. ๐Ÿ˜
      Some Encanto?? that movie played at least 4 times while the kids were on winter break. Well spotted.

      Delete
  12. Away from me, temptation! These are lovely. Do you need to use wood glue?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jennifer. I used normal Elmers White glue to assemble them with any issues so far. though mine are not tested in battle yet!

      Delete
  13. These look really cool Stew. If the game fundamentally...... two armies about 6 feet apart on the floor....deploy soldiers.....take turns rolling a marble/small ball at them till they are all knocked down.....I can attest both my children were happy to play it with poor quality "$2 Shop" plastic soldiers about 18-20 years ago - but they have never looked longingly at any of my wargaming figures since they turned about ten years old - good luck but I would not hold your breath that this will provide you with an endless supply of wargaming opponents in your twilight years!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Keith. Yes the game is fundamentally the same. If playing such with you didn't create lifelong miniature wargamers then you must of done something wrong! LOL ๐Ÿ˜œ
      but seriously, who knows? doesn't really matter really. If anything it'll be a nice memory and a fun time for us like you have and had.

      Delete
  14. As always many a chuckle made whilst reading your post Stew! I must say those figures look great and remind me of the simple pleasures of Airfix 1/32nd figures, lined up in the garden and knocked over my marbles, stones or matchsticks fired from guns: Happy days:). My kids have shown zero interest in gaming, except for our son wanting to put daleks on the table in every game played for about a year. Luckily my friends are very understanding and after he zapped eveything in sight, he was happy and wandered off to conquer new domains within the house;). Online games are there thing, something that leaves me completely cold!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Steve. Yes, I think many of us have played some version of this game ourselves, which is probably what sparked it's creation.
      We'll have to see if this fans any flames for them being gamers. if it does we can look back at this moment as the moment when I became a genius. ๐Ÿ˜

      Delete
  15. Well I had a good laugh as usual but I have to say those flats look really great. Also, paint pens are a thing now?! Who knew?! Well obviously you did I suppose. You Americans are so innovative. Though it’s not my bag, just think of all the extra followers you’ll get now you’ve crossed the line into Napoleonics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mark. Oh yes, paint pens are a thing. Have been for awhile. Might be my new favorite way to paint things. As for the Naps, we shall see. from what i hear most Naps players have bad attitudes anyway. ๐Ÿ˜

      Delete
  16. Those are so cool. So easy to paint. It would make an excellent "afternoon with beer" game...although I suspect that the accuracy of the shooting would decrease as the afternoon progressed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mark. Also it might be harder and harder to get up from off the floor. ๐Ÿ˜€

      Delete
  17. My 6 year old seems to really like shows where the protagonists are rescuers/helpers. Maybe a miniature game for your daughter to save....things? Go heavy on the magic over weapons. Racing the antagonists. RPGs might be the entry drug here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave. Some good suggestions there. ๐Ÿ˜

      Delete
  18. Could have sworn I already posted something on this? Anyway welcome to team Napoleonic, nice colouring in, didn't you're daughter fancy doing that? Mine is still doing it and she'll be 21 in a couple of months, we've had the odd game with miniatures and I had a few go's at getting her to paint figures but she's not a gamer , both nephews are, heavily encouraged by me and a great grand nephew has been painting age of sigmar and playing it so he got a big box of plastic 40k I had lying around, it's fun playing within the family. Good luck with getting it all done in time!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain. Sometimes I swear blogger eats comments.
      I did think about the kids doing the coloring. My thinking is that i'll get a core amount done and then if the kids really like it then I'll let them color their own unit / officer anyway they like.
      if this eventually ends up with us playing 40K, then so be it. ๐Ÿ˜

      Delete
  19. I saw those wooden wars soldiers at a convention and was immediately taken with them. That is, however, until I saw that they were bare wood and I contemplated having to paint them. Your solution of the paint pens is the smart answer. If the kids won't go for 'em, I'm sure that the big kids (ie, guys like us) will!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ed. I guess there always is that fall back. ๐Ÿ˜€

      Delete
  20. First off, your paint job adds a lot of life to those flats, Stew! The game sounds really fun for everyone involved and I feel a bit out of it, because I've never heard of Wooden Wars. I hope you're able to hit your deadline and that future good times are had too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jeff. I wouldn’t feel bad about not hearing about it. The game is one of those niche in a niche things and really geared towards children. Or I guess the young st heart with good knees. ๐Ÿ˜€

      Delete
  21. Perfect way to start the kids off, you clever so-and-so!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mike. Clever is as clever does. ๐Ÿ˜€

      Delete