Tuesday, January 2, 2024

Arise Blog! Arise!

 /prep spell "revive blog."
-Spell "revive blog" has been prepped.

/cast spell "revive blog." 
-You cast Spell "revive blog"

--Blog has been revived.  You hold your breath to see if anyone remembers or cares.  You are disappointed to see that only the spammers and the bots are interested in new posts by you.  The internet has moved on.  Worse yet, people have declared that the ACW is not the best CW after all. 



Remember those old text adventure games?  Some of them were more snarky than others.  


Arise! 


Hi there.  Welcome back to the blog of Terrible loss.  Merry Christmas, Happy New Year, and any other holidays that I might of missed.  Also any important life events that might have happened.  
Did your dog get married?  that's wonderful.
Did you have to put your Aunt to sleep?  that's sad.
Did I get those mixed up?  I'll fix it later.*

In all seriousness, I hope you all had a nice enough winter break.  I'll now take a moment to go read AAALLLL of the blog posts that I have missed over the last 3 months.  Be right back...

/play inner monologue
-Inner Monologue is playing while you read blog posts of other bloggers.  as you scan over several posts it goes something like this: "yes, that is good.......fine, fine.....all very well over there....Gah!  those are god awful and that is a stupid idea, but I'll write a comment that says "those are really good, and it's an interesting idea.' because I want to be nice and to be seen as encouraging even if it's the worse idea I've heard in 6 years and no one wants honesty.....I'm sure nobody does that to me...


Great stuff everyone.  Nice to see that you all held down the Blogasphere without me.  It's almost like another wargaming blog like this one isn't even needed.... Never mind.



The Start of the Wargaming Season


Like many men, one can track my life through seasons.  Baseball season, football season, hockey season...etc... Though I don't watch any sports because sports are lame and extremely boring to watch.  Plus whenever I'm around sports-watching-people and they say things like "We Won YAAAAY!"  I'm always having to make a Self Control check (2+) to not say "correction; the sports team that you wanted to win because you overly identify with their victories or defeats has won the game, therefore you feel good, but you did nothing. THEY won.  Not you.   yaaaaay."  
I'm never invited to watch sport games.

So nothing lame like that.  I mean the wargaming season.  Something substantially more important.  Miniature wargaming, where fortunes are made and actual lives are changed forever.  

It just turns out that near the end of the year things get really busy around here at house Terrible and time for hobbying tends to evaporate.  It then resurges in the new year as time returns as the children all distracted by all the new toys they got and the wife is bought off with all the expensive jewelry she got and I finally get some alone time to sit at a desk and make believe with little soldiers.  real Grown Up stuff.

The Wargaming season starts NOW, and should last till around October / Novemember-ish depending on resources, time, and inclination.  

The Hobby season coincides with the Blogging Season.  So lucky, all of us. Because how does one even do wargaming without a blog?  Mind boggling.  

I actually did some wargaming stuff over the break; made some terrain and markers,  went a local convention and hosted two games.  I didn't take any pictures which at the time I found LIBERATING but now I kinda wish I did. If only there was some other person there who could take pictures for me.  Oh wait,  there was. 
Mr. GM over on his blog took pics.  See it HERES is so desires.  My games are the Dark Ages and the ACW (the McPherson's Ridge game as featured on this blog before) nearer the end of the post.


Go!

Go as in begin, and Go as in 'get out of here.'  I'll begin reading and commenting on the blogs of the usual suspects and we'll see who wants to to be Best Blogging Buddies again.  No harm if you don't.  Just ignore me till I get the hint.  But if ya do then leave comments back and we'll be like old friends come back from the front. Starting at the top of the blog roll and going down. 

And now it's time for me to GO and get out of here.  As this post has gone on long enough without providing any super cool miniature wargaming content.  Which is the thing we all desire. 
Hopefully talk to you again soon.

Thanks for Reading,
Double thanks for writing a comment.
Till Net time.



*
Did your dog get married?  That's sad.
Did you have to put your aunt to sleep? That's wonderful.
There; I fixed it.





59 comments:

  1. He has risen! Oh, hold on, that's Easter, wrong celebration😉! My bad as the younger people say. Honestly great to have you back Stew and with your dry sense of humour which I really enjoy. Looking forward to seeing what you get up to this Blogging season😊!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve! don't go confusing me with the messiah, we do both have great hair styles and a killer smile, but I don't have the forgiving attitude. I'm glad you like the blog and humor. 😁

      Delete
  2. Welcome back, you have been missed, and I look forward to seeing all the new bits you get up to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave. Nice of you to say. Nothing as cool as sculpting. making my own miniatures as you do. 😁

      Delete
  3. Welcome back, Stew! I am old enough to remember those text adventures very well. Old enough to recognize that you have not lost your zany humor too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks JF. They were fading in popularity by the time I was old enough to play them but I have distinct memories. Hope this lame post gave you a smile. 😁

      Delete
  4. Great to see the blog start up again Stew. It is always an entertaining read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lawrence. Glad you find it entertaining, otherwise it'd be really annoying. 😁

      Delete
  5. Who are you again? (Internal dialogue - what's this about ACW being the best civil war....? That's really lame - wait don't say that - be nice or he won't like you....).

    Yeah - Stu? Stewpot? Steve? Stew???

    Hey welcome back, it's been dull without you! Go team Stew! Yaaaay! ☺

    *Click* System restored - equilibrium restored - blogosphere restarted......

    Neil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, thanks Neil. Appreciate it. I knew YOU wouldn't forget me. 😁
      It couldn't of been that dull without me.

      Delete
  6. Woo hoo your back…just as I went off on my blog about you not posting anymore. Incidentally the whole « that’s a great idea - love it - when you don’t really mean it » is so obviously about my 2mm stuff isn’t it. I forgive you. I’d rather you were nice than truthful. Glad your back I’ve missed your posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mark. Nah, truth is I’m actually a pretty nice and encouraging person in real life and no idea / project is a bad one. It’s more of a set up so people feel obligated to say to me nice things when they don’t really mean it. Just like we do with spouses / significant others.
      “You look nice in that. “. 😀

      Delete
  7. I grew up on text based adventures. Impossible they were! Almost as challenging was figuring out the correct verbiage to use in sierra games with the typing interface (no point and click for us, nosir).
    I must say that I very, very closely relate to your highly refined take on sports. Happy New Year! All hail the assent of blogs! Make posts while the rain falls, for in the summer there will be a drought.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave. Those text adventures were hard weren’t they? And sports are lame. Lol glad we’re on the same page. 😀

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Thanks Mr Pompey. Nice to have you along. 😀

      Delete
  9. “It’s Alive! It’s Alive!” Welcome back and happy new year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter. Yes the blog is alive and just as monstrous. 😀

      Delete
  10. Great to see you back Stew...made my day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mark. That’s a very nice compliment. 😀

      Delete
  11. Nice to see you back Stew....just a couple of errata I picked up in your blog....Mark (above) and I are in the middle of a SUMMER break and not everyone agrees on rhe best CW!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kieth. You are technically correct, which is the best kind of correct. But I was using Winter metaphorically. (That sounds good). 😀

      Delete
  12. Whew! I thought the hiatus had become the “die-atus.” Which would have been bad, dog or Aunt. Welcome back to the blogging world and keep those family members distracted. We need (!) the entertainment!

    R,
    Paul Povlock

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Paul. I appreciate the encouragement. Hope to not disappoint. 😀

      Delete
  13. Welcome back Stew. Everyone was saying how blogging is dying but now you are back (like a certain Californian Governor) everything will be alright 😂....Hollywood ending ... lots of explosions and riding off into the sunset.
    I have just put in my order at Pendraken with your voucher so hope to have it all painted and on the table by June 😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ben.
      Blogging is a dying art form which is probably why I like it so much.
      Looking forward to seeing what you do with the Pendraken stuff. Didn’t they just raise their prices?
      😀

      Delete
    2. The prices went up on 1 Jan. I ordered on 31 December 😁

      Delete
  14. Welcome back Stew. I’m sure it’s going to be a very entertaining year .

    ReplyDelete
  15. Scarily refreshing to have you back Stew👍

    ReplyDelete
  16. Welcome back: do what you can when you can. Everyone gets it (I think).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ed. I think everyone gets it too. None of us are professional bloggers.

      Delete
  17. Hello Stew! I'm glad that your blog is back and that your dog got married. I am likewise trying to cast a "revive" spell on my rather dormant blog, Here's success and a happy new year to both of us. Cheers, Michael

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Padre. I appreciate the well wishes. I wish you success as well. I’ll try to pay attention and write comments to you too. 😀

      Delete
  18. Nonono, I totally understand! I gotta tiny little blog, but it keeps me going and when I don't keep it up I feel like I'm missing something. Amazing what two and a half years of occasional writing will do to ya. Glad you're back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jennifer. This is also a tiny little blog of no consequence. But it is fun to write and interact with people. 😁

      Delete
  19. A top opener Stew, but be careful that you do not peak too early. It's a long season and a marathon, not a sprint.
    Too right. If it is not posted on the blog it did not occur. Something that Jonathan Freitag (of all people) did not get right last year—on one, minor, but memorable occasion!!! :)
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, thanks Janes. You can ask my wife; I ALWAYS peak too early. (snicker snicker snort). 😁

      Delete
  20. Stew! Lovely to see you posting again.

    Now what you did not discuss is what you have been painting or building since the hiatus started... I am sure you have a whole new army lurking, ready to be posted about?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes! An excellent question. The public demands answers sir!

      Delete
    2. Thanks Las and Dave. Truth is I didn't do a lot of anything. For a Dark Ages skirmish game I ran I painted up some livestock / sheep bases and a little stone enclosure. I made some markers with arrows sticking out of the ground. I watched the first season of Star trek Picard. All of the actors have gotten really old and it made me sad. 😁

      Delete
  21. Its great to see you back at it and I'm excited to see what you focus on in 2024! I feel like you might have a surprise or two for us, but I guess we'll just have to wait and see :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jeff. You will have to wait and you’ll be completely underwhelmed. 😀

      Delete
  22. Welcome back! Looking forward to the posts and seeing the cheeky comments again ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks SD. It’s a delicate balance between cheeky and snarky but I think I do it. 😀

      Delete
  23. Glad you're back , I think you missed the point with team games, well football, its just a tribal thing for urban dwellers, you hate the people at the end of the garden who you don't know as they live in the opposing local teams territory, the sport is almost irrelevant at least in my experience in North London !
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain. I don't think I miss the point. 😁

      Delete
  24. Great to have you back Stew. Never put my aunt to sleep but there could always be a first time I reckon........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mike. Nice to be missed…. By both bullets. 😀

      Delete