Monday, May 29, 2023

Last in Space

 

It's Memorial Day weekend and that means all the cool gamers in CA. head off to Kublacon; the largest, most diverse, most fun convention on the west coast.

I am not a cool gamer, and I didn't go.  Again.  Life is lame.  Now it's been several years and I am out of the loop.

Instead, I had over some other non-cool gamers for one last super big, GIANT, but actually medium sized space battle; before I pack away all these starships and give space a rest for awhile.  I managed to entice my good space buddy Mr. DJ (from the Lasgunpacker blog), Mr. PC, and Mr. AM.  As a bonus everyone had played this game before within living memory.  So it wasn't so much teaching the rules as it was recovering lost memories...


Pew Pew!
Zip Zip!
And other Spaceship noises.
(except there is no sound in space,  I KNOW!)


I Shouldn't Host at My House Anymore


Because it's embarrassing.  My family had multiple meltdowns the morning of the game while they were getting ready to get out of the house (I never tell my family they have to leave.  And I don't mind if the kids see me play miniature games or want to come hang out and whatever, but on this occasion my wife decided to take them to her parents house in the bay area kinda at the last minute) so while my friends are pulling up and getting out of their cars; We are all in the driveway yelling at each other.  I'm yelling at my daughter for being spaz and over reacting and just get in the damn car already, my wife is yelling at me to stop yelling  in front of the neighbors, and etc..  

So friends get of their car, wave hello, realize we're having a big fight, and then stand there awkwardly for it to finish.  

Family finally drives away and then they have to stand around some more while I finished setting up the game because I was too busy yelling.  And now I am grouchy.  Grouchy on Game day no less.

Sometimes families are hard.  Sometimes more than sometimes, it seems.

BUT!  I recovered quickly, the game sets up fast (a hex mat, a few asteroids, oh look done!)  and we're off zooming in space.  

 


The scenario was a simple shoot the other side's ships till they die and the bodies of the crew are blown out to the vacuum of space.  That's right;  I said blown out to space, not sucked out.  That's correct, look it up.

Players were able to choose their fleets using a pool of victory points.  Each Federation player would have 16 points, and each Klingon player would have 14 and be able to cloak two ships at once.  

For the Federation: I chose a Galaxy class (8), an Akira Class (4), an Excelsior class (2), and a Defiant Class (2).  Mr DJ chose a Sovereign class (10) and 3 Excelsior class (2 each). 

For the Klingons: Mr. AM chose 3 Vorcha class (4 each) and 2 Kvort (1 each, but not worth any points if it's destroyed because it's so small).  Mr PC chose 2 Vorcha Torpedo Module class (4 each), a Vorcha class (4), and a Makesh class (2).  

I know that many of you while reading that your brain went "blah blah blah - spaceships."  Don't worry about it.  My brain does the same thing on posts about Napoleonics: I read dragoons, cuirassiers, carabiniers, lancers, or chasseurs and my brain says  "blah blah blah - cavalry."  then I look at the pretty pictures.  

(you can look at this previous post HERE if inclined to read about ship classes).  




Here are some pretty pictures.


Players could deploy half their fleet at the start of the game and the other half were off table.  During the end phase of each turn each off table ship rolls a die and keeps a running total.  When it hits 7 or greater the ship arrives, "it warps in" and is placed on the table and is available next turn.
Which means that a ship MIGHT arrive at the end of turn 2, would most probably arrive at the end of turn 3, VEEY LIKELY to arrive at the end of turn 4, and anything beyond that is just your bad luck stop rolling 1s and 2s already.

Victory was set at half the total points for the entire enemy fleet (so the Federation had to destroy 14 points of Klingon ships, while the Klingons had to destroy 16 points of Federation ships).  Ships that flew off the table or into an asteroid count as destroyed.  Ships that used their warp drives to escape would count as half victory points.  




We all had a good time.  The Starmada Unity rules with my small tweaks seem to be working great, and are a lot of fun.  Plus, when the game ended I was family free for the evening.


I Should Host at My House all the Time


because people bring gifts.  When the game was over and we were all kibitzing about Star Trek This and Star Trek That, whether the old style ships of TOS are better than the TNG ships, attractive alien women, and why haven't I done the Romulans yet?  Good space buddy Mr DJ presented me with a gift of a DS9 style starbase that he 3D printed...


HOLE-LEE Crap.
That is Awesome.

Size reference shot.
The Defiant class ship in the pic is about an inch long.
Huge bonus points for it being in the same scale as my ships are.

I was bound to get one of these, eventually, one day.  That day has come a lot sooner thanks to Mr. DJ's generosity.   

Thanks again Mr. DJ.

Also, my long time buddy Mr. PC brought over a tub of Star Wars X-Wing (1st edition) stuff and told me to take it because he hasn't looked at it in years and years.  "there's more somewhere in storage too."

Course, I haven't touched my X-wing stuff in years and years (and years) either.  But these are small details best forgotten.

Thanks again Mr. PC.  


So all this wonderful stuff just for having people over
to play a game I WANTED to play and the cost
of two frozen gluten free pizzas.


Miniature wargamers are the best people and this is the best hobby.

And to think that when I go over to someone else's house to play a game; I don't bring bupkis and I steal the toilet paper out of the bathroom.


Thanks for reading.

Double Thanks for writing a comment.

Till next time.

39 comments:

  1. I'm glad it turned into a great day, once the family were safely on their way. We only game at each other's houses now which I find very enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lawrence. Actually I do prefer gaming in homes. I’m fortunate to have space for such things. And when I play at my house I don’t have to transport anything. 😀

      Delete
  2. Stew, you never said who won?! A suspicious mind would assume it’s because you lost, hah. Then again even if you did lose you actually didn’t when I see what your friends gave you. Lucky devil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mark. I am a lucky devil.

      I’ll have you know that is Feds win the game 14 to 9. The Klingon players groused a bit about how the big ships but they were just sore losers. 😀

      Delete
  3. I now game at mine or friends houses and much better than the old club IMHO. I couldn't do this when the kids were young, hence going to a club, as it was just too awkward. Mind you having my son 'join in' with his Daleks and allowing him to kill everything in sight was entertaining most of the time, until it got to crucial parts of the game!

    Your game looked cool, even to someone like myself who has no interest in space games at all. The 3d printed space station is brilliant but blooming big!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Steve. It’s much more convenient to game at homes to be sure and even more do when my children are not at home. Though truth be told they usually are not a bother and I think it’s important for them to see their parents have fun. 😀

      Delete
  4. Cool game Stew! I can see why you shook off that grouch so quickly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mike. A good game and good company can go a long way. 😀

      Delete
  5. A goodly number of ships, looking great, starmada did a good job. Nice to get a big (medium) game in after all of your efforts - also nice gifts from thoughtful buddies …… I would have brought you some napoleonics :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol thanks Norm. And I would of thanked you sincerely and after a suitable time period I would pass them on to someone else. 😀

      Delete
  6. I would have brought you toilet paper........
    There are some things you shouldn't have to steal.............unless there's a global pandemic and people have gone crazy buying up all the toilet paper in shops.........because.....well because they are crazy and have s##t for brains.....
    Perhaps they thought it was a zombie apocalypse and the toilet paper was to protect their brains....🚽☺
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neil, yours is my favorite response! I should send a C.A.R.E. package of TP to Stew.

      Delete
    2. Thanks guys. But you silly bloggers; I don’t steal the TP because I need it (though with 5 people in my house we do seem to go through it pretty fast) but because I think it’s Funny. 😀

      Delete
  7. The space station will be a great addition to your fleets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter. Yes it will be and something I completely needed. 😀
      Now all I got to do is come up with some scenarios for it.

      Delete
  8. Fun looking game Stew….I particularly like the floating rock/asteroid thing. In my limited experience with children having only had two to steer into adulthood shouting never seemed to work so I just gave up 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt. I wouldn’t call having 2 children limited experience.
      I don’t know if shouting works or not either. But I’m willing to give it more time. 😀

      Delete
    2. I think the shouting is more of a stress release for wound up parents than a method of convincing your children of the validity of what you are telling (shouting at) them. As for shouting at wives - don't, its a BAD mistake!

      Delete
  9. Gaming keeps us sane, friends that bring gifts are to be treasured, hosts that provide pizza are assuredly awesome. Kids get better with age, preferably 30 to 40 years old.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pam. Gaming does keep me pretty sane. Most of the time. And I always provide pizza. 😀

      Delete
  10. The game looked awesome Stewart, and great to have friends over, and what great friends as well, those gifts are excellent. Now you have DS9 you'll be needing a dominion fleet to attack it ! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave. You’re right on all counts including getting the dominion fleet. 😀

      Delete
  11. Great looking game Stew and I am glad it went well for everyone. Excellent score from your gaming buddies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ben. It was a double score bc I got nice gifts AND was kid less for the evening. 😀

      Delete
  12. Glad you had a good day, albeit after some family drama.

    The game sounds like a well run and pretty affair and that new DS9 looks rather “resin printed” from here - lots of nice detail to paint. (Lucky sod)

    Glad it ended up being a good time my friend.

    Check your texts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dai. I’m liking how the ST stuff has turned out in the end.
      The space station is rather pretty I think. 😀

      Delete
  13. Good to see all your hard work (we know how much you LOVE painting) resulting in a fun days gaming and talking gaming with gaming buddies (gaming!) Plus a bonus free evening kinderfrei - outstanding! My daughter is 24 but even so, I was quite disappointed when a planned weekend in Sydney (Australia) with her mother did not eventuate last week and I had the usual pleasure of my wife's company all weekend! ( my daughter still went, she was working!) We don't see a lot of my 22 year old son at the weekend - he is usually "out".....somewhere. doing something......such great parenting skills!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Keith. There are days when I cannot wait for them to be in their 20s, so we can all just leave each other alone and they only come round when asking for money.
      Which I won't have any, as I've spent it all on miniature painting services. 😀

      Delete
  14. It was a great game, and I missed most of the fireworks so was not put off at all!

    And that looks like quite the X-wing haul! I have a ton of it too, although it is unfortunate how slow the game gets when you have more than 5 or so ships per side.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks David, and THANKS again for the DS9.
      It's been so long that I don't really remember how X-Wing played. But Paul's gift made me want to take it all out and go through it all....
      least the X-wing stuff comes pre painted. 😀

      Delete
    2. So it does! and relatively well too. (although I have seen some amazing repaints)

      Delete
  15. What a really cool model, cool to see it's in the same scale as well. I should host games more often now lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks SD. Yes you should, but you gotta invite the right sort of people. 😀

      Delete
  16. Sounds like a good day in the end! Nice looking space station too, if I'm lucky when my daughter comes back from university we can get a wargame in and she'll probably beat me , again!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain. I am slowly grooming the children into gamers. One day when they are grown and I am an old man we can serious miniature wargames together. 😀

      Delete
  17. I'm glad you were able to get some gaming in even if the real melee was before Star Trek kicked off :) That really is a lovely gift and it will be a fantastic addition to your collection. Getting a bunch of Star Wars stuff ain't bad either! :D

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks Jeff. Yes, all in all it was a good day. 😀

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ooh, I sympathise. It's easy to get distracted from the enjoyable parts, as I found out yesterday while trying to run paint-and-take. The kids loved it, but it was a bit of a mess.

    Look at it as relaxation, the moment where you can forget about your troubles. Me, I tend to think of wargaming as what allows me to blow stuff up without actually hurting anyone...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jennifer. Yes, gaming is a fun escape from my ever increasing responsibilities. 😀
      And no one gets hurt.

      Delete