Friday, September 4, 2020

Making 28mm Forest Terrain Tutorial Part 2

 

Extra

I seem to be getting in some extra hobby time lately, always welcomed.  It's because the kids are now back on a school schedule and go to bed at a reasonable time (not that anyone is actually going to school, its distance learning).  It's like the whole evening suddenly opens up! 

Let's continue on with making some forest terrain and pretending like I know what I am doing..

Part one can be seen HERE


This is where we left off from Part 1.

Instead of doing all the bases that I just made at once, I'm gonna focus on making 2 small and 1 large one.  As a way of testing the concept of what I am trying to do, and if I mess it all up somehow, then all is not lost.  But let's be optimistic.  




Getting Gritty with It


I got my bases of hard board, and on the smaller bases I've glues some pieces of hard board cut offs to create some undulations.  Undulations is a sexy word when said right.  
On these smaller pieces, I also want the trees affixed to the base, so I glued down some tree bases from my Woodland Scenic Tree Armatures, making sure to glue these far enough apart to leave room for the tree branches.  More about trees in a future post.  Are you shaking like a leaf, but with excitement? 

Then to smooth out the undulations (see, told ya) I took some Wall Filler / Spackle  and applied it to the sides.  


Everyone likes smooth unnnndulations.
Bonus footage of my PJs at the bottom of the picture.
While the spackle dries paint a miniature or something.

Now it's time to cover the bases with a texture.  This will make a mess, so can done outside or at least on something to catch all the materials.  I used the top of a cardboard box.  Because going outside is for suckers and daredevils, which I am not.  

I'm gonna use a texture mix because I think that will work well.  The mix is abooouut a 50/50 blend of fine grit / ballast and decaf coffee grounds.   I learned awhile ago that coffee grounds make great base texture, so I just get a tin of the cheap decaf coffee.  No one should be drinking cheap decaf coffee anyway.




I got this Huuuge 1/2 gallon tub of  "#50 blended ballast" from Scenic Express.  It's probably more than I need, but I have no concept of volume.  

Pretty simple process, spread glue all over the base and then dump the mix on top, pat lightly.

Don't get glue on the tree bases


Here's the 3 bases all covered with texture mix.
Looks a little like wet beach sand.
Let this all dry before fussing with it.


Rock On


Some rock outcroppings are a fitting little detail to forest terrain so I decided to play around with some stuff that I've had for years and years.

This was a Christmas gift from I don't know how long ago.

It was easy to mix up a little cup of plaster and cast the mold.  I still have plaster supplies left over from my Lord of the Rings Terrain projects.  I picked my favorites and glued them to parts of the forest bases, and began adding littler pieces of ballast around them.  



I added even smaller ballast after these pictures.  just forgot to document it.


HINDSIGHT TIP: It probably would of been better to glue the rock outcropping to the base BEFORE putting on the texture mix, that way the rocks would be one step closer to appearing like they are coming out of the ground rather than sitting on top.  Oh well.  maybe next time.  



Dry Brushing Should be Easier


When everything is dry, prime with black (not pictured, it's be boring to look at) and then paint things up.  Base coats and dry brushes.  

Bases all painted up.
I added some Woodland Scenics 'Deadfall' to look fallen logs, which of course are just sticks.
One could go outside and just get sticks from the ground I suppose,
but I'm not an outside person as discussed.




Standard stuff:
Bases painted brown with lighter brown and whites dry brushed on top.
Rocks painted dark grey, with lighter gray and white dry brushed on top. 

There are some obvious parts where I messed it up.  I always seem to mess up dry brushing.  Some of the und---ulations were not as smooth and supple as I thought.  But no matter!  Any mess up too egregious can and will be covered up with flock.  Lots and lots of flock.  

Flock and trees in the next installment, in our tree-part saga (get it??!!  Tree part instead of Three part!  OK, I guess that not punny).  This is a shorter post than my usual, but this stage of the project seems like a nice place for a chapter break. 

Thanks for reading and commenting.  I hope you are finding these entertaining and/or informative.  

EDIT: Part Three can be found HERE


25 comments:

  1. Stew, those rock molds are superb. I have seen them on a Woodland Scenics display in the past and under-estimated just what a good look they give.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Norm. I’ve actually never used it before. I saw it while I was digging through my hobby desk for something else and thought “now is a good time to try this out actually.” 😀

      Delete
  2. Yes, both entertaining and informative!

    For example learning that you BUY coffee to use for this, rather than just using your waste grounds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol thanks Laz, that’s the goal; funny and instructional.

      You could use waste grounds I suppose, you’d just have to dry it out some. Though I’m the only coffee drinker in my house and we have one of those Keurig machines, so I don’t see myself opening up hundreds of those little cups. 😀

      Delete
  3. Great progress! I have used those Woodland Scenics rock molds for years and like the result a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jon, I was very pleased with the way the rocks came out. This is a fun project for me. 😀

      Delete
    2. I would be very pleased to be yielding similar results. Your terrain work is superb.

      Delete
    3. Thanks Jonathan. You’re makin me blush. 😀

      Delete
  4. Everything is shaping up well! If you want to try to smooth out the "edges" around the rocks and blend them into base, I'd recommend a bit of basing paste if you have it. I do it quite often with that and it works like a charm. One other thing you might consider and maybe you were planning it already, I'd trim off a few of the branches off your trees especially at the bottom. It will scale them even better with the miniatures you're using and I end up doing it with pretty much any of their trees I buy. I'm feeling spoiled getting two updates from you in a week! Looking forward to seeing more terrain progress :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kuribo! I’m spoiled for having your comments. Though I’ll be returning to my more lazy post schedule soon enough. I’ll have to keep the paste idea in my head for next time, as I’ve already moved on to flocking the thing. And I have been playing around with the tree armatures as well. 😀

      Delete
  5. Coming along nicely. Curious to see how it works when all pulled together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Markus. I’m curious as well. The first time you do something, even if you’ve watched a lot of instructional videos and read some how-to articles, is always an experiment with an unknown ending. 😀

      Delete
  6. I laughed lots reading this. Showed my wife and she wasn’t so amused. Lol

    Fun following your progress, do you use oregano/Italian seasoning for flock to go with your coffee grounds textures?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dai. The thought of using spices as a texture for miniature bases has occurred to me. Just don’t think it’s very economical. Might smell nicer though.

      Glad you’re finding things amusing. 😀
      Strange about the wife though not being as tickled ; I mean that I’m obviously hi-larious and she obviously has a sense of humor because of whom she married.... .... .... 😛

      Delete
    2. You’re not wrong there lol

      Still working on the schedule btw, not forgotten

      Delete
    3. Great!
      Then you’re wife can find me not funny in person. 😀

      Delete
  7. Nice ballast mix ,good looking rock mould,I just use cork because I ended up with a pile of it,looking forward to copious flocking!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain. I will indeed need some copious amounts of flock. Not jut for these bases but for all the others too. 😀
      Do you just crumble up the cork to make rocky outcrops?

      Delete
    2. Hi Stew, yes I just break off bits, it's funny because one of the walls in the house I am now in was covered in it,I think it was big in the 1970's, I kept a bag of it!
      Best Iain

      Delete
  8. I'm confronting a terrain project, not something I do very much: these last posts have been timely and useful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ed. I’m glad for that. I like the way you say ‘confront’ like terrain is an unpleasant relative that you’re stuck with. 😀

      Delete
  9. Your bases are looking pretty skookum there Stew. I've seen those rock molds before but didn't realize the cast would turn out that nice. I have always just gathered debris from outside to adapt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vol. I do like how the rock molds came out too, and much better than actually going outside bc that is fraught with perils. I had to look up skookum. Lol. 😀

      Delete