Thursday, March 21, 2019

French 80 and British 74 Ships




After the marathon game of Post Captain last January I was reminded that there were more ships to paint.... and now they're finished!

What a story!  what a twist ending!  What an obvious conclusion! 


Or is it....

Paint What You Want Play (Or Alternatively: The Stronger motivation)


In general, the best way to motivate painting is to play games.  I know for myself the more games played means the more painting done.  This is because I'm a 'paint to play' gamer.  I've never bought or painted a figure just cause I thought it was cool and be fun to paint.  Each figure is meant for the game table to be gamed with (no matter how long that may take...sometimes a looong while. lol).



After the Gaming Weekend (as posted in Jan) of AoS and ACW, while motivation was high for those genres some ACW infantry and  ships were placed on the paint table.  Speaking for myself, this is something that often happens, that the selection of hobby projects is influenced by what I played last.  However, sometimes momentum for these projects can sag when the mind starts to look forward to the next game.  I get some cognitive dissonance if I am painting for one genre while planning to play another.  I'm excited for the next thing and want to prepare for that.  I also think that this happens to a lot of wargamers, which is why so many miniature projects get half started or languish in varies stages of completion.  Wargamers get distracted by the next thing on the horizon and don't finish what they start.  because we are bad people.  No, it's that:


We are more motivated to paint for future games than from past ones.
 
Just something that I noticed.

So it took a little self discipline to finish these ships as I was thinking about other things, mainly Lord of the Rings, but more on that in a future post.  Try not to hold your breath in anticipation.  But I am glad that I stuck to it because now the fleet has grown by 2 more ships.  And I have that sense of completion of a project finished.  Cue the contented sigh.


Plus, I really like the way they came out. 


French 80 gun SOL

First up, I present to you a French 80 gun Ship of the Line.  I've been needing one these for awhile. 
This ship would represent the Bucentaure, which was the same design as the French Formidable, which is the French Admiral's Flagship in the Battle of Cape Ortegal Scenario.
The future scenario can be seen in a past blog post HERE.  (how was that for a mind bender?)





A very proud pennant in this pic! 



I think the more correct paint scheme for the Bucentaure would be just plain yellow sides, but honestly there is just so little info on how the ships were actually painted. It just doesn't seem to be a thing that mattered much.  I can kinda understand, as it's not like a ships color mattered in her identification.  And as I tend to use the ships interchangeably (unless it's a specific model of a famous ship), I tend to just go for nice looking paint schemes. 


it's required that at least one photo has my fingers in it, just to show the scale. 

The Stern came out looking pretty.


For this ship I added some Red on the gunwale and upper deck. 









British 74 gun SOL

Adding to the numbers of the British, here is another 74 gun 3rd rate.  The backbone and work horse of any Napoleonic Age of Sail fleet. 


A blue strip on this one, just because it looks sexy.




This ship was not made to model any ship in particular, just a generic 74.



Rigging everywhere! 










Now sail off to the world at large!  Or at least into the storage bin.


Last year's goal for AoS was to have 8 ships, and now that goal is reached albeit 3 months late.  There will certainly be more ships in the future.  For now, 4 ships a side is a good amount for a 4 player game using Post Captain (2 ships each).  Goal achieved!



I award myself the "yay me" for achieving the goal
and for my self discipline.




Aftermath and Future Seeing.

Unlike my usual habit of being focuses on a few projects, lately I've been doing a little bit on several fronts at once.  This has left me feeling a little scattered and disorganized, and the current state of the hobby desk reflects this...


What a mess! 

Time to organize!  Recent purchases have to found a home, paints put in the rack, game supplies back on the shelves, vacuum the floor to get all the little bits and pieces that have fallen like snowflakes before Son #2 (now almost a year old) finds them and puts them in his mouth.  Maybe a little soap and water to combat the smell. 

As always, thanks for taking the time to read this blog.  Be back soon. 

33 comments:

  1. Stew! You produced a beautiful pair of ships! I commend your patience and skill in rigging this little vessels. Well Done and YAY you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jon! Appreciate it. But it’s not as hard as it looks. 😀

      Delete
    2. I have tried building these models. I had difficulty enough with affixing the ratlines properly.

      Delete
    3. Now you’re just trying to make me feel good! It’s working 😀

      Delete
  2. The ships are so nice and reflect a lot of clever care, it is little wonder they have made it to the top of the painting queue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Norm. I do like making ships and hopefully they’ll see battle soon. 😀

      Delete
  3. Superb, so many impressive details, I'm jealous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol thanks Phil. I’m jealous of your armies as well. 😀

      Delete
  4. Lovely ships. Now time to move on to a few Spanish or Dutch ships? A pair of US Super frigates?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Las, I actually have a pair of the US super frigates that a friend gave me. They’ll be painted and rigged...eventually. 😀

      Delete
    2. If you build those you could use them against the French too in the Quasi-war... you just need a couple of targets and some privateers.

      Delete
    3. Indeed! I only recently learned there was such a thing as the quasi war. But I would probably lean more towards 1812.

      Delete
    4. 1812 is far more glorious, but it is always nice to have options!

      Delete
  5. Excellent brush skills: but I have to say that the rigging puts them over the top. Very cool! Good points on playing/painting: painting/playing. I hope to play more and paint less in the coming year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ed. I agree that The rigging makes the models stand out all the more. Which is good because it takes awhile. 😀

      Glad you enjoyed the first bit. I like to add some thoughts on our hobby to posts, kinda to make it more than “look, I painted something.” Rare as my thoughts are at any rate. 😀

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Thanks BW. It’s been awhile since AoS made an appearance on my blog. It felt good to get these done.

      Delete
  7. Another couple of very nice looking ships, congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yup, nicely done. Good job on the rigging, I know how hard it can be at 1/350 never mind your scale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment George. I appreciate it.
      I use thread stiffened with glue for rigging and it does come out looking really great but takes WAY less skill than tying little knots. 😀

      Delete
  9. Lovely looking pair of ships! I have done ratlines for a 1/56ish model, actually 3 and while it was over 25years ago Im in no hurry to do it again and certainly not in a teeny tiny scale, these look splendid!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain. You’d think that 25 years would be enough time for the trauma to fade...it’s like 8 years per ship. 😀
      The real question: do you still have the ships?

      Delete
    2. No, I'm afraid it was the brief period when I worked as a model maker and then decided that I preferred it as a hobby!
      Best Iain

      Delete
    3. I can see that. 😀

      Delete
  10. Wow! I can see the attraction with these, superbly painted.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Holy smokes, those look absolutely amazing! I couldn't even imagine attempting a model that detailed at that size, great stuff Stew!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ivor. It’s not as hard as it looks. But I have gotten better at ship making over time. 😀

      Delete
  12. More solid salty results Stew. I think 12 ships is more of a round number btw. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dai. All things in their time. 12 is doable though.
      Next up will be our LoTR game. 😀

      Delete
  13. Very nice, and timely also as I try to get organized and get some ships together as well.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dang Stew! I'm sorry I missed these beauties! And you even told me you were working on them back in February. Lovely job my friend

    ReplyDelete