Monday, July 15, 2024

More fun with foam (Trench Terrain board Pt3)

(Sing it!)

Trenching time, trenching time,
Time for a trenching time,
Time to get your Proxon and your ruler.
trenching time, trenching time,
Lots of fun with trenching time,
Time to let Stew he do another
                 trenching post for you.


-Good job, you nailed it.


More Trench Terrain Board

Can you believe it?  So soon after the last installment.  That's what happens when your two oldest children go to their grandparents for a few days and nights.  Amazin how much time opens up.


The first 2x4 board being done as seen in previous posts, it was time to move on to the foam stage of the second 2x4.  The plan for this board is there will a trench pit for some guns teams, the ridiculous large trench will continue to wind it's way across, and there will be a bridge going over it that will make a nice objective.

I happen to (rumble bang) have the stone bridge (shift, screech) right over here (clang, rattle) under all this stuff (clatter shatter)....Ah, there it is.

Tadaa!
made from Hist Arts years and years ago,
but still holding up quite well.
Unlike me.
My elbow hurt today for no reason.



This stage actually went somewhat fast.  Some of it is practice effects, but I was also greatly aided in my Proxon upgrade from Shifting Lands:

Shifting Lands Guider Pro 2.0
An MDF construction while not complicated to build, 
does take some thought.


What it does is make cutting things straight WAAAAY easier.  
Yes, I added it to the hobby expenses list.

As the cutting and shaping went fast, and because I'm sure you all find this as fascinating as I find long discussions on the proper color of pompoms in the late summer of the 1806 campaign in wherever...
It'll be rapid-fire-picture-caption time.
Go!

Virgin foam placed next to the previous terrain board.
I placed the bridge where I thought it would look cool,
and drew in with a sharpie where stuff would be cut out..


 

Protip: label everything.
I should of labeled more.
Because after cutting you get random shaped pieces of foam and you're like
"is this a keep piece or a scrap piece?"
bridge is also outlined.


main trench cut out and bridge test fit.



Cut out the gun pit area and made stairs using the method described in the previous post.
The depth is 1/2 an inch again as in the last board.
I just cut a half inch off the top.
The idea is that even with some build up later on with wood and ground covers and maybe sandbags
the Quar will be able to stick their snouts over the trench line.



The two boards placed together.
Some Quar added in for scale.

The pink panther giving me the thumbs up is very reassuring.





Then the areas under the bridge and stairs get the stone texture treatment
as seen in previous post.
This time I took Dave Stone's advice (ooo, Stone on stone) and skipped the sharp part
and just used a pen and pushed very hard.


Looking adequate.

I'm not intending to attach the bridge or even use it in every scenario, but the stone wall will serve as reminder of where I thought the bridge should go, and will be another break in the side of the trench wall from being all wooden planks.  

Speaking of wooden planks.. 

... (grumble grumble) they can't all be gems....



As I was SAYING, speaking of wooden planks

I haven't been painting a lot;
instead, I've been cutting down long sticks into shorter sticks
in preparation for the next stage.  


Don't know how many I will need except it'll be somewhere in between 'lots' and 'a zillion.'
Least while I cut sticks I can hang out with my wife and watch some TV show she picked about murder.
It's always about murder.


Thanks for reading.
Double thanks for writing a comment.
Till next time.


32 comments:

  1. You have been very productive Stew. Another great song as well as a trench board. 😊
    The bridge looks great on the board and the stone effects you have made match it well.

    As long as your wife is not taking notes I think you are safe 😂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ben. So far she has not sat there with a notepad jotting things down while muttering 'LOL, this chick was just trying to get caught. I could do a lot better." 😁

      Delete
    2. To be fair to the wives, maybe its just their polite way of saying, "Behave yourself or it doesn't have to end in divorce and this way I keep everything plus get the life insurance"
      So as long as the chores get done on time you will be fine. 😂

      Delete
    3. in my anecdotal research (ie, watching all the same shows) the man trigger seems to be massive spending or having a second or third secret family somewhere.
      I don't have the means for massive spending and have enough 'family' to satisfy me. lol 😁

      Delete
  2. Making great progress there! I find that a medium point Bic Stic will do stonework very nicely on blue/pink board. Side note; if the missus is watch the "true crime, how I got caught" you might need to sleep with one eye open. Mine is the same, I never understood the female fascination with murder as entertainment but it does worry me at times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anton. A ballpoint pen did the trick nicely. Yeah, my wife is always "this is fascinating, isn't it?" and I'm just "dude, I spoke to 3 murderers today and they aren't that fascinating." 😁

      Delete
    2. To be fair those were murderers that got CAUGHT. (still a good point though!)

      Delete
    3. lol. They all can’t be ‘who done it?’ Mysteries.
      Most true crime stories aren’t really.

      Delete
  3. More fantastic and realistic work Stew!
    Best regards

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michal. Hopefully it'll come out looking grat.

      Delete
  4. An epic build Stew…looking good 👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt. Hopefully it'll be epic in the end. 😁

      Delete
  5. Looking good Stew. Some epic work and songwriting.....
    Back to the wives and murder show thing; last time it revealed quite a few. Perhaps it's time for a definitive poll. "Does your wife / partner / significant other watch exclusively real life murder programmes when allowed to?" "Are you concerned?"
    Be interesting to collate the Venn diagram for wargamer's wives and murder shows.....
    A job for Jonathan? ☺
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Neil. It DOES seem to be a pattern doesn't it? Least not once in any of the shows was a guy murdered with his toy army men. 😁

      Delete
  6. Excellent progress Stewart, the second board fits in well with the first, but is unique in it's own right, which is always on multiple boards. Glad the advice worked for you on the stone work, and good call on putting it in the area the bridge will be used, as a marker and what would be reinforcing structure in real life. That's a good start on the planking, but you'll probably need a lot more for three boards. By the way keep an ear on certain signs that come up in the murder programmes, just as an early warning guide ! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave. That's just the start of the planking; I know I'm gonna need a lot more, just trying to get out ahead of it / have a supply for when the time comes.
      luckily, so far in all the murder shows not once has the trigger been "he spent too much on wargaming." 😁

      Delete
  7. More solid progress there, Stew - and as you note, its not that long since your previous post - God bless grandparents, eh?!
    My wife watches a lot of murder on TV too - in her case, its 90% "real crime" type programmes - she mentioned the other day that brake fluid (I think) is tasteless, so good for adding to the food of people you want to bump off - do you think I might have something to worry about?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kieth. You might be worried; did she deliver that certain factoid while handing you a cup of tea? 😁

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Thanks Neil. Nice to make your online acquaintance. 😁

      Delete
  9. More good progress!

    What are you cutting the planks with? Hopefully something that will not hurt the old wrist after 1000 cuts...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks David. I’m just using a pair of clippers. At first I was using craft sticks that required some effort but then switched to coffee stirrers which are much easier.
      Insert joke here about men having a strong wrist due to solo activities…😀😝

      Delete
  10. Excellent progress all around! I've been working on terrain some this week myself and I'm reminded that terrain is rarely exciting and it takes longer than you think but once you get through the monotony you hopefully end up with something that looks great. I suspect that is what will happen here :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jeff. But what you just described is miniature painting. Terrain is terribly exciting.
      At least to me. 😀😝

      Delete
  11. They are coming along well Stew. I really like the stone work and the bridge is super cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mark. It is coming along but I’m glad I don’t have a deadline for when this needs to be done as it’s slow going. 😀

      Delete
  12. That's some good progress, any intention of damaging the bridge a little or will it be one of those lucky structures that manages to survive?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks SD. No, no intention of damaging the bridge. it's too pretty.
      but also one scenario I'm thinking is that the bridge was somehow missed by artillery strikes meant to take out bridges all along the trench, and now the guns have moved on and it's the infantry's job to go blow it up. 😁

      Delete
  13. Excellent progress on your trenchwork, I am tempted but don't want to go epic like you, I paint miniatures on the sofa while my wife watches TV series about murder, seems a common theme, at a hotel when we were checking in with my daughter and I gave our old address , my wife said, no that's your other family with a straight face, I looked embaresed and the receptionist looked scared, maybe she'd heard about the triggers? That or thought we were going to have a domestic in front of her? Not murder but I do know a woman who left her husband because he spent too much time doing toy soldiers though!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain. My wife has made similar jokes in public. I usually retort with something sweet like ‘how could I love anyone else?’ And then it’s all smiles.
      That must be a LOT of wargaming to be a marital issue. My wife knew what I was before we got married but still I’ve always been careful not to skip out on family in favor of gaming;
      Though I’m tempted too all the time. 😀

      Delete
  14. Very ambitious project Stew. And the foam work is coming along nicely. How do you like your foam cutter? Does it produce a lot of fumes? I got one last Christmas but haven't used it yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vol. It is kinda overly ambitious for an amateur like me.
      I LOVE the foam cutter. I do not think it creates a lot of fumes. I’ve barely noticed any and after a little bit of practice doesn’t even smoke. So far just having an open window is plenty of ventilation. It’s made cutting the stuff a breeze. 😀

      Delete