Tuesday, June 13, 2023

McPherson's ridge Project (part 3; the sanding)

 

"The ACW,
is the best CW, 
I'm not tryin' to wound!
But the ACW, 
is MY CW, 
and makes me sing in tune!"

(Part two can be seen HERE.  This is part three.  Part 4 can be seen HERE


McPherson's Ridge Project Part 3

What? another update so soon? That's because I have been CRUSHING IT lately on the hobby front.  Crushing hard like a high school kid on an attractive English teacher.  


I've overcome a major hurdle, in that I've finished sanding all the hills.


Here is an exciting picture.



This was a major hurdle because use of the power sander required that it be done during daylight hours (so I could see what I was doing and not bother anyone with the noise) and outside.  /Shudder.  Gah, the outside.  Is it always so bright out here?  Why is it hot?  I'm pretty sure I am surrounded by dangerous animals like ladybugs and butterflies.  And reverse Werewolves.  Surely there is another way? but there isn't. 

Really the main hurdle is that daylight hours are usually booked with family activities and childcare.  Experience has shown that I can ignore the 2 year old, the 5 year old, and the 9 year old for only about 20 mins at a time.  Longer than that ends in someone crying.  Sometimes it's me.

So sanding had to be done by the principle of Specific Periods Of Reduced Activity Dedicated Indirectly Carefully Adding Little-by- Little Yo!   or S.P.O.R.A.D.I.C.A.L.L.Y for short.   



Since I happened to a game table out,
I put the hills out to see again how it was all shaping up.




Cut and sanded hills look more like hills.

Neil would like to know that THIS time I made sure to go over the crest several times to try to make sure that it beveled more smoothly.  time will tell if I was successful. 

It's slightly deceiving; I feel like I got a lot of work done,  but it's hard to show in pictures.  I guess I could of shown me covered in pink dust from the sanding, but then ya'll might just think that I had a bender on cotton candy flavored cocaine.  




No rest for the wicked, no peace for the just.  Wasting no time I've began coating the hills in ground texture.  Brushing on slightly watered down glue and sprinkling on the sand / coffee ground mix.  I tried to use a box lid to catch the sand so not to make a huge mess.  Only slightly successful.

The ground texture step will take some time, and then it'll painting them all brown and such.  





Looking Ahead


As one phase nears completion it's useful to look ahead and plan the next steps, so that it'll be ready go when the time comes.  I don't plan well in real life but in hobby world I am a master strategist.  

Flock Comparisons


I know I don't have enough flock and grass to cover these massive foam hills.  While I had my homemade mat out, I tried to re-find the mix of flock that I used to make the mat by taking little bits and doing color comparisons.  I'm not gonna get an exact match and now I am KICKING myself for not writing down the exact mix that I used.  But I don't want the hills to be severely different in color than the rest of the mat; like I don't want them 3 tones brighter or darker.  My body has some mean tan lines where I go from pale to ghostly white but lets see if we can avoid such stark contrasts on the table.  



Successful Field Experiment:
Original color on the left, painted added on the right.


The battlefield has several wheat fields on it and I've seen some really good fields on the internet made of teddy bear fur.  I've done that before so had some scraps lying around.  In my previous life I just cut the fur to shape and put on the game table; but there are several tutorials on-line of how folks add extra goodness by adding some paint, so I gave it try.  The results above.  WOW.  The differences are spectacular so that will be the go to method.  Now I need more fur.  



Failures
Left to right: Woods base, Orchard base, and railway base


The battlefield will also feature areas of woods, orchards, and I'll need an unfinished railway strip.  I want these areas to be easily defined by having a base / foot print.  I thought I would try using felt with some flock glued on.  I have this old felt gaming mat (from Monday Knight I think) that I haven't touched in years because I've upgraded.  I cut out some sections and did some experiments. 
This was a failure, as the felt is too think and doesn't really drape over contours after the glue and flock is added.  I think the mat is made from extra think felt.  I'll have to try it again with some regular felt or some fabric.   

The extra thickness isn't a problem for the railway strip, as it will sit flat on the table.  I glued on some ground texture and gave it a dark grey base with a white dry brush.  I just don't like the way it looks. The grey looks more lie pavement, or gray stucco, then stones.  I was thinking a grey color because it would make the railroad cut different from a brown road.  But it doesn't look right.  What color is an unfinished railway cut in the 19th century anyway?  All this stuff needs more time and experimentation; like my sexuality in college.  




Bonus Bocage


Did I mention that I was crushing it?  Crushing hard like a preteen on his babysitter. 
I had another game last weekend.   Three Saturdays in a row?!! Unheard of. Crushing.  IT!!
3 in a row? That my online friends, is called a wargaming hat trick.  


Fate collided with luck, and after several years of separation; good blogging buddy Dai (from the Lost, Damned, and Stunted Blog) and I were finally able to get together in the same room to play a game together.  I also had over my good friend Mr. PC.  

It was kinda short notice.  So I decided to play What A Tanker by Too Fat Lardies as it's a simple game and Dai and PC both really like WWII tanks. So do I obviously.  

I have a lot of WWII terrain, if by WWII terrain you mean Bocage.



Game table set up


Suitably claustrophobic
What's around the corner?



this stuff hasn't seen the table in so long that I had trouble finding it all in the garage, I mean miniature storage shed. 
Since we had 3 players, I set the game up that the Germans would be played by 1 person with tanks with higher point values and the Americans would be played by the other 2 players with more but lesser point tanks.  Worked out to be 4 Panthers vs 6 Shermans or M10s (3 per player and they could choose).  Since Dai and Mr. PC both happened to have olive green T shirts on, they took the Americans.




Tanks in the Bocage.


In What a Tanker,
each tank needs a HUD



TFL games are so hit and miss with me.  Some rules are a hit and some are very poor.  All of them need better editing.  But WaT is a fun game.  But big tanks can cause a problem; while the points were even the Panthers absolutely dominated the table.  So much so that 3/4 of the game through we gave the Americans 3 more tanks just to have chance...





We all had a fun night.  And it was great to see Dai in person again.  Good friends can pcik up right where they left off; rolling dice, playing games, and trading back handed compliments.  "You look good for someone your age."  "Dude, we're the SAME age."  


All Good Things Must End


Like my gaming streak, as I can see that the next 3 weekends are already booked with family events.  Like the best day in your life.  Like a vacation.  Like childhood, like this post.


Thanks for reading.
Double thanks for writing a comment.
Till next time.

40 comments:

  1. The ridge is coming along beautifully, and that WWII tablke with the bocage looks great. The road pieces look very nice as well. Good job getting any hobby time in with young children. I put things on almost complete hold for ten years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lawrence. I don’t want to put things on hold but I know it’s a common story. My hobbies do get long pauses from time to time though. 😀

      Delete
  2. You really are hilarious. I know from experience to put my drink safely away before I begin reading one of your posts. This is no exception. By the way, you continue making great progress on your terrain projects.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, thanks Jonathan. It's gratifying to know that you have to take preventive measures to not do a spit take. This terrain project is a lot of fun. 😀

      Delete
  3. I'm glad to see the nagging paid off........hey you're married with kids of course it works! ☺
    I hope you wore a mask when sanding.....(why do I suddenly feel like I sound like your wife....)

    Moving on...

    That my friend is not bocage; it's what wargamers think bocage looks like....
    Having lived in Cornwall, it shares with Normandy, what are known in Cornwall as "Cornish lanes". Picture if you will a narrow winding road which follows the contours of the land, almost always lower than the surrounding countryside. On each side of the sunken road raise up the banks by 3 to 6 foot. On top of this put a thick untrimmed wild hedge mixed with stunted trees, mix in some rocks and the odd stone wall and cover thickly with bramble and other impenetrable foliage. The foliage is only cut where it interferes with the road, but grows up and outward to create an arch in some places above the road so the road goes through a tunnel of hedge.....

    Only when you have had the joy of an accidental encounter with traffic coming from the other direction do you appreciate the lack of visibility....
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Neil. My wife will be the first to tell you that she doesn't nag. I did not wear a mask, maybe I should of, but I also exaggerated how much dust was created how much hit me.
      And that my friend, it what wargamers have to make bocage look like in order for it to playable on the table....😀

      Delete
    2. Hah, I know EXACTLY what you are referring to Neil! Last time we were back in the UK, we were were forced onto some detour around Crediton, and the lanes were exactly as described, and then we came around the corner of a one and a half vehicle wide lane......and met a combine harvester coming the other way, followed by two ENORMOUS John Deere tractors with huge grain trailers!

      Delete
  4. Busy, busy, busy (crush), the terrain is really coming on and I can now get a good sense where the project is going …. Looking forward to seeing it. The What a Tanker table looks great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Norm. yes, once the hills are hills shaped it starts to look better. 😀

      Delete
  5. Big fan of your terrain work sir!
    Best regards

    ReplyDelete
  6. Highly entertaining post as always Stew:). The English teacher comment made me smile as we did have a very attractive one turn up in our penultimate year at Secondary School and luckily for my grades, I wasn't in her class!

    Good to see the hills progressing nicely and hope you resolve the flock matching issue OK. 3 games as well, not bad at all. The weather here is now into it's fourth week or more or less wall-to-wall sunshine, so no gaming planned for a while...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Steve. I will not confirm nor deny that I ever had a crush on my English teacher or that her name was Mrs. Sled. 😀
      I think the flock will come out OK, it doesn't have to be a perfect match just not to stark a contrast. And wall to wall sunshine is the PERFECT reason to stay inside.....

      Delete
    2. We had two....Miss Forte who was pretty much straight out of training and in her mid twenties and Mrs Nixon, who was a bit more of a cougar ( but still twenty years younger than I am now!)

      Delete
  7. Rookie mistake mentioning your mates blog. I went over there, liked it, then forgot all about leaving a comment here. Doh. I endorse everyone else’s comments about the terrain, but would add that your sander has a cute little face so treat him nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No mistake Mark. The best blogs are usually the ones mentioned directly by other blogs. By all means drop him a line.
      I don't see a face on the sander but then again I don't go around anthropomorphizing power tools like some crazy Rorschach. 😀😜😜

      Delete
  8. Awesome work on the hills Stew! If your WW2 table is any guide your finished ACW (best CW) table will be fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lots of great stuff going on there Stew....you are crushing it....like four Panthers crush six Sherman's....every time! I think there must be a flaw in WaT points system....no way four Panthers are the equivalent of six Sherman's !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crush it every where. It’s been so long since I’ve played WaT that I forgot about the imbalance.
      Though in the end they got two panthers destroyed once they remembered to try to move into flank shots. 😀

      Delete
  10. Great looking game smart move to be the chap with the Panthers, hey you definitely know how to rig a game, did they get to see your dice rolls? Great progress on the hills, very impressive !
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it was pretty smart of me. I actually wanted to play the Americans but being a good host let them pick first. I was also rolling very good armor saves but it was out in the open. Lol. 😀

      Delete
  11. Great looking terrain, and it makes me wonder why I am bothering to put my own set together (very slowly anyway).

    4 Panthers to 6 Shermans or M10s seems like a mismatch, unless you take actual rates of availability into consideration, and only d4 panthers actually show up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks David. What terrain are you making? ACW terrain?? Intriguing. 😀

      Delete
    2. Normandy, just very slowly. ACW holds little interest for me I am sad to say. (so it is fortunate that you like it, and have massive armies!)

      Delete
    3. Oh that is cool. And I kinda thought you were sci-fy through and through. I really only have what you see. 😀

      Delete
  12. Good progress on the hills….such planning for a battle is really impressive. I’m so much less organised. Looking forward to the next installment even if it is several weeks away 👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt. Next time I’ll hold out to show some real progress. 😀

      Delete
  13. Some great progress on the terrain Stewart, with regards to the railroad cutting, maybe try doing a darker stone, it wont look so jarring next to all the other colours.
    3 games in 3 weeks ! Wow you are lucky, can't remember the last time someone came over for a game, ah well just have to be solo play ! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave. Good advice. I’m now thinking of a dark brown base with a grey dry brush.
      I could never get on much with solo gaming. I’m poor company for myself. 😀

      Delete
  14. You have have been blessed with much hobby goodness it sounds like. The terrain is coming along well and I look forward to seeing more progress. The pictures from your WWII game look very nice as well. The bocage might have been hard to round up, but it looks great covering a table like that. Its a shame the streak has to end but I guess children and family don't look after themselves :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jeff. It is a shame my gaming streak has to end but such is life. Thanks for the nice words about the terrain and such. More to come albeit more slowly. 😀

      Delete
  15. Great stuff, I really need to think about hills. I get your agony about not writing down the flock mix, despite doing this more times than I care to remember I still forget to do it, “oh, I won’t forget those colours, that’s easy to remember”. No, it’s not. I still don’t learn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks TP. I appreciate you coming by and writing a comment. Yeah, I totally thought I would remember but it was years ago but hopefully I’ll get it close enough.

      Delete
  16. That is a lot if gaming activity Stew...it's a good thing you are taking a rest for a while 😛

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mark. I GUESS I could use a rest before I appear too successful at having leisure time. 😀

      Delete
  17. Your posts are always enjoyable Stew with your wit, turn of phrase and construction.
    You have me doubly interested now that you are back to historical stuff!
    The terrain is coming along really well. The hills were not only sanded, but sanded using a DeWalt. Ooooh! Is that a wheelie bin (as we call them) doubling as a work bench? Something that I use often.
    The table for the game of tanks looked beaut. I especially liked the photo looking down the muddy road with deep track marks. Atmospheric indeed. The pink roof of the cathedral of Caen in the distance...
    Regards, James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks James. The pink roof of one of my children’s toys at any rate, but it does seem to fit.
      Yes, I don’t have a d we irk bench outside do used a convenient trash tub. It’s the right height at any rate.
      Glad my posts are interesting/ entertaining read for you. 😀

      Delete
  18. It is all looking really good Stew! Nice you got to game with an old friend. S.P.O.R.A.D.I.C.A.L.L.Y. 🤣🤣 you crack me up!

    ReplyDelete