Saturday, November 6, 2021

Viking Army Progress

 Everybody sing now:


"I write one post and then I write ano-ther" (oh yeah)
"Do people care? I sometimes won-der"
"could you read, would you read ano-tthhheerrrr?"
"I hope you do, I hope it gives pleas-sure.

--That's to the tune of "Down Under" from Men At Work.  Did it come through in the writing?  I'm sure it did.  And now that song will be stuck in your head the rest of day.  BOOM! psychological warfare.


Speaking of Being Down Under


Vikings.  I have some.  In a totally unexpected twist of events I've made some more movement trays for my Viking miniatures.  OK, so it's NOT totally unexpected but easily foreseeable as I've been making these for awhile now; and even in the past wrote how I would be doing more in the future. 

 I'm something of a predictable stick in the mud.  Consistent.  It's why all the ladies find me so non-threatening.


I made up 6 trays / Big battle Bases.  Which is not all that much really.  To create the illusion of doing more than I have done; I'll show you pictures of the trays in small increments.  It's a blogging trick that.  ALL the best bloggers do it.

First small bunch. Two trays



Second small bunch.  These guys have a nifty Raven banner



Third bunch.
"6 foot, 7 foot, 8 foot BUNCH!
Daylight come and we want to go home."
(Now that's two songs that will be stuck in your head all day.
BOOM!  Psychological warfare strikes again)


Here's 2 pics of the 6 bases.




View from the Helicopter



This makes the Viking Army 10 trays strong so far.  More to come.  

I will blame my slow hobby progress on the baby.  Son #3 is now 10 months old, and into everything and everywhere so I had to get serious about baby proofing the house again.  I spent some nights reinstalling latches on cabinets and gates across stairwells.  Safety First.  His safety that is; I've already tripped over a gate coming down the stairs. 


Wait A Minute;  That First Subtitle Made No Sense.


What do Vikings have to do with 'Being Down Under?' 
Nothing really.
I'll do better next time.


Inevitability


We Wargamers all have different styles.  A lot of gamers I know will do a little from one project / genre and then go over to another one.  Little bit of A, then a little of B, and then some C.  I'm a little different in that I tend to focus on one genre for months at a time.  It's because I get a lot of satisfaction moving a project to it's next milestone.  I like to achieve goals; it seems to happen so rarely once one is over 30. 

Yet most gamers I know while working on a project will then go buy stuff for it.  Seems to be in our DNA.  In this respect I am no different, so while working on Dark Ages stuff and sorting out what I actually had and had not; I made a little  purchase to round out some missing elements.


A box of generic plastic Dark Age warriors
A blister of 8 metal Saxon Ceorls
and 3 blisters of Saxon Standard bearers. 
The standard bears I thought were pretty nifty.  A unique figure complete with pole and LBMS banner.

I also purchased a pantsload of LBMS shield transfers, but these are coming from the UK so who knows how long that will take to show up.  But there's no rush.  I don't know when I'll get around to assembling these.  Probably next year.  I just couldn't resist getting some Dark Ages swag.  It seemed inevitable.  See, I did do a better job this time around.

It's the End of the Post as We Know It


(Third times a charm for the musical psychological warfare)
I gotta run.  I hear the baby rattling one of the baby gates by the stairs and I don't trust my handy work all that much.  Thanks for reading.  Double Thanks for writing a comment.  Till Next time.

26 comments:

  1. That’s an impressive looking force of Vikings. I get the ‘buying a few extras’ bit, sometimes it’s only when we’re deep into a project that we realise how better the collection would be with a few ………. (insert unit of your choice). Living down under is not making it any easier to get that song out of my head, I might just have to settle for a Vegemite sandwich and give up…..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks TP. I’m hoping that in the end the Vikings will look as impressive as the Saxons.
      Yep, just a few more of X and the collection can be complete. πŸ˜€
      (Is vegemite any good?).

      Delete
  2. Nice post Stew - I think I had just worked out the tune at the same time I read the answer - so not sure if I really had or not! Dont worry, its not stuck in my head - I have too much else stuck in there already! Goal achievement and reaching milestones eh - you sound a bit too focused and driven for my liking - far too reminiscent of the real world I am trying to avoid if at all possible! I cant make my house child proof any longer - my sons a builder. last time he wanted a door for his bedroom (his had been removed for painting) he just helped himself to another one! What would have taken me half an hour with a philips screwdriver an a lot of swearing, he did in five minutes - so obviously, his apprenticeship is working and he is learning some stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kieth. Told ya I was something of an odd gamer. But when you only get about 4 hours to do hobbies a week; one needs a plan otherwise nothing would get done.
      If your son can take a door off it’s hinges then he could probably walk up and down the stairs without crashing. πŸ˜€

      Delete
  3. The new bases look great. I have just bought a couple of boxes of the Gripping Beast plastics and am very pleased with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Norm. Yeah, I think the GB miniatures are very nice. 90% of these guys are GB. πŸ˜€

      Delete
  4. Your "Down Under" interpretation worked well. That album is around here somewhere. Love the basing, Stew! Paint 12, buy 24. Isn't that how it is supposed to work?

    Jumping from one project to another works better for me when projects reach "gameable" state and I jump around augmented many. Bringing up a new project requires some concentration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks JF. With the amount of miniatures that you are able to paint you don’t need a plan. πŸ˜€

      Delete
  5. More Vikings looking very smart, which I guess is not the first descriptor one would use when one first thinks of Vikings?

    Lovely to see more purchases too! Standard bearers are something my own collection lacks… Hrm… darn you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dai. I think Vikings were often described as cunning rather than smart. But they never had any good contemporary press. πŸ˜€
      I couldn’t help myself in buying stuff.

      Delete
  6. I think you need more Vikings, not Saxons. Lots more Vikings Stew!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vol. no worries, I have LOTS of Vikings to satisfy. πŸ˜€

      Delete
  7. Your Vikings look superb and fierce...and impressive viewed from helicopter!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good looking force I do like the look of the irregular ten man bases πŸ‘ as for the psychological warfare my brain simply doesn’t remember song lyrics so it doesn’t work on me !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt. Glad you liked it. I’ll have to find some other means of warfare. πŸ˜€

      Delete
  9. It is a nifty banner, and how I have to go re-watch Beetljuice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Markus. I remember that scene from Beetljuice. Though I don’t recall much else. πŸ˜€

      Delete
  10. A fine collection and you make a fine bard for your Vikings Stew, with your singing of songs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pat. I didn’t think of it that way but I like it. πŸ˜€

      Delete
  11. Good looking Vikings, I am now thinking of Stan Freiburg songs,the yellow rose of Texas, where he secedes(Something you or your southern cousins do?) from the band ,all good fun!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain. I’m unfamiliar with that artist. It’d be a southern cousin thing that. πŸ˜€

      Delete
  12. Looking great. Little bits of work here and there get the project moving along.

    And of course now that you have these guys painted and based, and now multi based, they need some companions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laz. I’m taking inventory of the Vikings as I go along. I’m sure I’ll purchase some more soon. πŸ˜€

      Delete
  13. I am enjoying the regular blog updates, Stew and my apologies for being late on this one. The trays are looking great and kudos to you for getting so many done in rapid succession. I'm looking forward to seeing your new Dark Ages minis painted up as well. You have an excellent collection of them and a couple of years ago or whenever we first started following each other's hobby, I would have never guessed you had so many! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jeff. Don’t worry about being ‘late.’ I don’t really post on a regular schedule but only try to get in 2-3 posts a month whenever I get around to writing them. Has it already been a few years?
      My dark ages collection hasn’t seen much playing in the last few years; so it is kinda like a surprise collection. πŸ˜€

      Delete