Sunday, November 8, 2020

10 day hobbyathon

 

or thereabouts...10 days give or take.  Lots of pics in this post.  


Got Caught, and Got Lucky





I tested positive for COVID.  I get tested through work, and took the test on a Wednesday and got the results on a Thursday night.  It was a little distressing since I know we've been VERY careful and when I got the results it was late evening and I was sitting at a table with my wife and her parents (who had come up for Halloween) who are all in the more vulnerable population.   I'll spare you the details of how I spent all of Friday in a parking lot so I wouldn't be around anyone (Ok, so one detail there).  
It's weird knowing that you are the diseased one.  There are also a lot of health officials that call you when you test positive. 
Long story short; the wife and kids ended up going to the Bay Area to her parents house so I could spend 10 days in isolation.  No work, no leaving the house.  The lucky bit is that all the family tested negative twice over the next week and I never felt sick.  Having known people who have gotten very sick I feel especially lucky to be one of those asymptomatic individuals.  So basically I ended up with about a week of goof off time, and the whole thing was harder on everyone else than on me.  My biggest problems were loneliness and ennui.  And trying not to eat all the Halloween candy that didn't get passed out.  

It couldn't be hobby-time all the time of course.  The whole house had to be DEEP cleaned and disinfected, especially the bathroom (and if you have to clean one, might as well clean them all) and the kitchen.  And when was the last time anyone cleaned the stove top?  Or cleaned under these sofa cushions?  Why do I live in such a pig sty??!!    I also did some of those chores that there never seems enough time to do like clean and vacuum out the car.  I also finally watched the last StarWars movie (it was terrible).  

Did Some Painting


Since I was stuck at home during election week here in America, which has tensions high, I decided it was appropriate to paint some Sci Fi near future dystopian miniatures to fit the mood... Just kidding! I churned out some AWI miniatures.  Still on the theme though.

It's a pretty crappy picture actually, but they there are nonetheless...



First off I painted up 12 more of the Colonial Militia in the brown MPC coats. I like these figures.  













And when those were done I decided to double down and painted up 12 AWI Continental Infantry and their dashing officer.  
 
Another terrible picture!  I must be out of practice on taking photos.


I'm not really going for a particular regiment, I just picked a color scheme I liked.  I was shooting for something like this:



So lets see how I did with that (Hint: the answer is poorly)













I know I say it all the time, but I show some close ups
not to show off my painting skills but more so you can just SEE
the damn miniature in the first place.  


Let's not forget about the aforementioned dashing officer...


I had a pony tail just like this when I was in high school,
though I colored it purple.



I really like way these came out and am digging the uniforms.  While my British are red with blue facings I kinda like contrast with the Americans being blue with red facings.   I hereby award myself a self high five   (because no one was around of course) on my decision to do the AWI in 28mm so that these miniatures will one day make a  pretty sight when they finally hit the table.

YAY ME!



After that I was kinda sick of painting because that is a lot for me; so while catching up on The Mandalorian (which is pretty good and makes up for the terrible Rise of Skywalker, and it's about time that I watched something on DisneyPlus for myself that I got for the kids), I spent an afternoon making some 28mm Snake rail fences. 

Not much to show, they're fences.
The kits are from Battlefield Terrain Concepts


Kitchen Table Battles


Having yet MORE time to kill, it struck me that I now 'all of a sudden' had enough AWI stuff for a small game; so I did a solo game of Musket and Tomahawks 2.  


Side Discussion: Solo Gaming
I don't love solo gaming.  I know some folks like it and even do it exclusively.  But I tend to get bored quickly during solo games.  I am poor company for myself.  But it had been a long time since my last solo experience.  Plus for me; solo gaming is best used to try out new rules and see the how the game mechanics work on the table and get a idea of what tactics should be used etc..   and I didn't have much else to do.  




Table set up.  



There's no real AAR since I didn't really take the time to write down what happened.  So just some  pretty pics (I hope you'll agree).   The scenario is that there are two objectives on the board that the Colonials have to occupy and the British goal is just to stop that and cause as many casualties as possible.  The Americans had 3 units (2 large militia units and 1 large Continental Infantry unit) and the British had 2 (1 of regular infantry and 1 of Light Infantry).  Each had one daring Officer.  

British Light Infantry have the Scouts trait and move through the woods easily
to come up on the flank of some Continental Infantry.


Colonial Militia stalk in some woods (slowly) getting to the objective.
The British Regulars move up as well.

The British Light Infantry on the right and the Colonial troops shaking out
into lines.





Overall; I had a good time putting Muskets and Tomahawks 2 through it's paces.  The game is a little more complex than I initially thought and there are lot little rules to keep track off.  The good news is that they all interact with each other well and I really like the game.  It definitely has a fun black powder skirmish feel to it.  

Musket fire erupts everywhere.... 






The Continental Infantry use 'Volley Fire' to engage the British Lights.
Volley fire is an effective tactic in M&T2.  It ignores terrain and causes reaction tests.





Militia and British Regulars get into a Musket Ball fight.


Testing out the Melee mechanics of the game.








I did get a random event in the game, 
Where a farmer decides to take pot shots from his house at anyone within 12"


It's also nice feeling of pride when a genre you've been slaving away on finally hits the table for the first time; and I was pleased with the appearance.  It's kinda like that feeling you get when after going to the gym for awhile you finally see some improvement in the mirror.  Or so I've been told.   Self High Five Again! 
yay me again!




Doubling Down:

Riding high on that solo experience and still not in the mood to paint anymore and with the election coverage being a distraction and a reminder of hard times, I decided to put down a small ACW scenario.


I really ought to upgrade my rivers.



The scenario is the "Ball's Bluff" scenario from the Regimental Fire and Fury rulebook.  The Battle of Ball's Bluff is a small battle early in the war, where a small Union force crossed the Potomac river to scout the CSA and ended up in a fiasco of a defeat.  Generals lost their job afterward.




The CSA attack starts to pin the USA against the bluffs of the Potomac River






This is a hard scenario for the Union.  All the troops are green and the command structure is terrible, so really they just struggled to do anything more than not retreat.  I don't think I would play this scenario again.  

The charge of the CSA that ends the game.
If you can see the dice and know RFF, you can tell that
the CSA have rolled the best they could while the USA has rolled the worse.

The CSA take the main position, the USA general killed, and it's just like the real history.


To be honest, this wasn't nearly as fun as the solo M&T2 game.   I know the RFF rules very well as it's one of my favorites, so there was noting to learn or experiment with.  Playing it solo got less interesting fast.  It could of been a function of the scenario, but overall it just wasn't as engaging as I would of hoped.  I either missed an opportunity to play larger more engaging scenario or maybe should of broke out a board game.  

Back to the Paint Desk


From my M&T2 game I learned that Colonial Militia really need an officer hanging around to help keep them from running away the first time any British Regulars look at them too sternly so I decided to paint one up, and might as well do a bunch of other miniatures as well. 

All my group pics in this post suck.


I painted up another 12 Colonial Militia.  Since these guys are not wearing the MPC coats I wanted to paint them in any color but brown just so that they would be distinct.  















The officer and his NCO are in MPC coats.





All the Brigade Games AWI miniatures have been really nice miniatures except for this officer, whose face is sculpted to look more like an alien than a humans.  More like an alien gorilla, it's just missing a nose. You might not be able to tell from my great paint job.  


TOTALS

Today the wife and kids returned to the house.  Children are cute after you haven't seen them for awhile.  The totals for the week and a half are:
2 solo games and 39 miniatures painted, which is a lot for a slower painter like myself.  Extra points to me because these miniatures were bare metal in blisters when I started.   Add to the totals one new an improved President and BIG sigh of relief, and one REALLY clean house and a healthy family.  

Thanks for reading.  I hope it was a good post, though kinda on the long side.  Great thanks for any and all comments.  

-Stewart

24 comments:

  1. Stew, glad the Covid had minimal impact on you and your family’s health. The figures look great, I like the sculpts because they are proportionate and have good faces, but am particularly taken by the fact that the Quick shade has not harmed the reds or blues, which seemed to be a problem when I used it.

    Very nice tables, a reward for all of your terrain building efforts over the past couple of months.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Norm. Yes, I think we were very lucky in regards to COVID. If I didn’t have to get tested through work then I probably would of never known. 🤷‍♂️
      I use the Dark Tone Quickshade which is black and I brush it on like a wash. I have found that the black just looks better than the medium brown tone which sometimes can provide strange shading; especially on blues.
      I thought the AWI table was pretty nice and I’m glad you liked it. 😀. It did feel rewarding to get all the stuff on the table.

      Delete
  2. Now that’s a brilliant post Stew. Happy the family are well and the gaming and painting is going from strength to strength.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carlo. My family and I have been lucky so far on this. Turned out to be a real shot in the arm for my AWI project. 😀

      Delete
  3. Hi Stew glad you're feeling okay and weathered the virus- double bonus for all of your hobby time and triple bonus for getting to see your family again!!!

    The M and T looked amazing! And your volume of painted minis is most impressive sir.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Steve. Yeah I was fortunate in that I never felt anything I would call a symptom and the rest of the family tested negative; so selfishly for me the whole thing turned into hobby time but since I was on a ‘house arrest’ I don’t really know what else I could of done? 😀
      39 miniatures painted I don’t think is a super impressive number but it’s probably more than I would of finished for the rest of the year if things were normal. 😀

      Delete
  4. Stew! Sorry to read the news of COVID diagnosis but very pleased to see that you have either no or minor symptoms and that your family remains well.

    Ten days to concentrate on hobby time produced impressive results. You painting looks fab and your games doubly impressive. You set beautiful tables. Next task is hooking everything up to Zoom for virtual gaming.

    I popped out to BTC to look at the split rail fences in your game photos and the fences are all sold out...

    Take care, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jonathan! Indeed I had no symptoms and the family seems to have escaped any harm so far. 😀

      Glad you liked the my results! In the last 10 days I’ve painted almost as much as you do! Except that I had no family and no work and no interference whatsoever so I guess it’s not a fair comparison! 😀
      My wife had the computer with her (so daughter #1 could do distance learning) so I really didn’t have the opportunity to play around with Zoom. Maybe something to think about in the future bc we do have an account.

      BTC is often sold out of the stuff. 😀

      Delete
  5. I'm in a position where I get tested every week--so know about that recurring moment of anticipation upon receiving the latest test result. Aside from the impact on the family (fortunately only the wife, no kids in my case), I sometimes think that an asymptomatic positive might be the more desired result, just to get it over with (although there are those nagging unknowns about long term effects). The two weeks of "house arrest" would be a mixed bag, but I think I might follow your lead (solo gaming is always something I've wanted to dabble in). Love the continentals: nicely done! And glad to hear that your case was of the mild variety and that family are doing well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blogger was giving me issues there.
      Thanks Ed. It came as a surprise to be positive after being negative for so long. But it all ended well and we seem to have escaped unscathed so far. 😀
      My solo games were a mixed bag but I’m not very good at it. Maybe I should of done something else than the ACW.

      Delete
  6. Wow Stew! That must have been a difficult dinner conversation... glad to hear that no one else has got it, and that you seem to have come through without effect.

    As for the hobby time, looks great! Painting miniatures and playing games is what is (supposedly) all about.

    Aside from that officer, which with that alien head looks like it would be ripe for a conversion to 40k... maybe someone in a Rogue Trader's entourage? hmm...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laz. It WAS an anxiety provoking situation. But we seemed to have come out the other side well enough with the bonus of I got a lot of figures painted and some games in which is what this hobby is about. 😀

      As for the MOC office; I suppose he could count as having a plasma sword or something similar.

      Delete
  7. Wow, that’s one eventful post! Where do I start?

    1. Glad you were asymptomaticand that your family got out in time.
    2. Figures look fab.
    3. Election week has been a distraction even for us on the other side of the planet.
    4. Agree last Star Wars film was crap. My son and daughter tell me Mandalorian is very good so I intend to watch too.
    5. RFF is tops for small scale ACW actions, and
    6. Your AWI project paid off big time.

    Oh, and your tables look the works too!




    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mike! Let me respond in kind.
      1 thanks! So far we all seem healthy
      2 why thank you again. Done came out fairly decent.
      3 you’re telling me! Least it ended in a positive result for me
      4 OMG it was soooo bad. But yes Mandolorian is fairly entertaining.
      5 I actually love RFF. I just think I picked a hard scenario to enjoy in a solo game.
      6 thanks! This time off has resulted in a real boost to the AWI project.

      The ACW table was somewhat a challenge since there were so many elevations and dips. 😀

      Delete
  8. I’m exhausted stew ! Excellent painting.....games look good and solo can be fun sometimes it is just nice to get figures moving about. Really glad you are well and the house is at least clean ! Suggestion for the photos don’t use a white background try something coloured as most cameras etc struggle with the contrast of pure white and small figures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt. The post did kinda go on and on. I’ll take your suggestions for taking pics for next time. I appreciate the well wishes as well. Though it’s only been a few days with the children back and I’m already stepping legos. 😀

      Delete
  9. First up,sorry to hear you've been ill but glad that it ended up in a positive light and no one got hurt! Lovely figures, bit slim for my taste but nice painting, both games look great, I'm not much of a solo gamer,I'd rather be painting! Glad your all back to normal and the election turned out well for you!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain! So far it does look like an ‘all’s well that ends well’ situation. I’m also not much of a solo gamer and usually I’m right with you that painting is how I would spend my little hobby time; it’s just that after 2 days of painting I was kinda looking for something different. Lol. 😀

      Delete
  10. This really is an epic post! I can only imagine how much time it took you to put it together though I appreciate your efforts and it was fun to read as always! :)

    The troops are really looking great and getting so many done has to feel good too. The table you put together was jaw-dropping! All that terrain work you did really paid off. I really enjoyed all of the pictures from your foray into solo gaming and I'm sorry to hear that one of the two playthroughs wasn't all that fun. I think it is really dependent on the game and rules system and most just aren't designed to be played one player sadly for those of us who like a good solo game :)

    Also, I agree that Rise of the Skywalker was disappointing though I wasn't surprised by that result since I didn't like The Last Jedi all that much either. We waited so long to get movies set after Return of the Jedi and ended up with a pretty lousy trilogy when all is said and done. I look forward to watching The Mandalorian. It is part of my holiday plans! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kuribo! Glad you enjoyed the post. I think I just picked the wrong scenario for my solo ACW game. Since I knew the rules so well already I should of picked a scenario that had more drama in it; this one was just the CSA rolling over the USA. I either should of done a different genre or a different scenario. I was tempted to do an LOTR scenario but I didn’t have my computer to print out my army lists and embarrassingly I temporarily misplaced the army book (I found it later of course, right where it was supposed to be). 😀

      Yeah, like many I have been programmed to love star wars since a young age but the last movie was doomed to be disappointing. I could go on with what I didn’t like but that would be boring. But The Mandolorian is pretty entertaining. 😀

      Delete
  11. Glad you came through that period with minimal fuss, as if our politicians aren't bad enough :)
    Very glad that the Covid wasn't a serious case and that the rest of the family were ok.

    The minis and games looked great, may have to give M&T a look if I ever get round to starting my AWI project as a stepping stone, number of figures wise, to Sharp Practice. But still have Naps in the paint queue and another 200 or so AB ACW figures on the way from a contact in Portugal.

    Mandolorian is great, more than makes up for the lackluster Rise of Skywalker.

    Take care

    Tony.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tony. It’s seems so far that we are all doing fine. We’ll have to monitor going forward but with everyone testing negative I am hopeful. 😀
      I can easily recommend M&T2. It has a lot more going for it than I first thought after just reading the rules. And it probably uses about half the figures.

      And I sure wish I had 200 ACW figures headed my way. 😀

      Delete
  12. Not so sure I'd agree about the "improved" descriptor on the president comment, but I didn't like the last one either so who am I to say anything?

    Glad you and the family came through unscathed aside from a little loneliness and stress.

    Painted minis and games looked fab though! A full game with all of your planned collections set against eachother will be great!

    ReplyDelete